The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we have a 2388 that was traded in, we are a new holland dealer, don't know much about machine, machine has rock damage, can you folks tell me what to look for, thanks, scott.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
Interesting standpoint, Scott. Even as a dealer/salesman for another brand, one should really look at all the simularities of any two different combines. The Flow is still rather basic, as rotors go.
Just saying it has "rock damage," is also vague. Damage where? Header? Feeder? Rotor intake? Rotor? Concave? It's anyone's guess here.
A really good starting point, would be a technical or service manual itself, whereby this combine may be looked over, piece by piece, as well as familiarizing one with specific structures/features of the Axial-Flow design.
Who in your shop, really knows and understands combines? A detailed manual is invaluable.

·
Registered
463 Posts
First start from the front and go to the rear.
The feederhouse would be simple: feeder floor, front drum, and feeder chain.
Next would be the rock trap if it is so equipped.
The transition cone and the vanes with the cone. In that same area would be the impeller blades aka elephant ears if a specialty rotor or standard rotor. The AFX rotor has just two flight extensions that would be looked at.
The concave, grates, rotor cage, rotor, and rasp bars would be the next thing to look at. Broken or missing rasp bars. The concaves can be twisted if lots of rock damage did occur. Dents in the rotor or cage.
Almost last would be the discharge area. A discharge beater or chopper. The beater could have dents or severe damage to balance. If equipped with a chopper, check the chopper blades and stationary knives.
The last thing would be if there was many rocks going through is the sheet metal directly above the spreaders for holes if rocks or chopper blades may have tore a hole through the sheet metal. That would be worse case scenario.
That should be the areas that I would check first.

Justin

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the replys folks, knee deep in tractors for spring, p ss ss me off salesman can't look and run macine, when we get time we are going to pull feeder house and rotor see what has been damaged thank alot appreciate info, cott.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Scott,

Where are you located? The situation sounds familiar. I think you might be close to me. If so we've ran a 2388 and been through our share of problems and I might be able to help some.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Yep thats what I thought! You've got my 9882 in there right now. When I stop by to check it out we will have to talk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts