The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
started as a slow leak and put some leak stop in worked good for 4 days and then started getting worse and worse... actually was putting 3-4 gallon in every 20 minutes so we put in 3 bottles of that stuff and well it fixed it for the last 3 days of harvest no issue..well we roll machines with a neighbor and i can't send it to him as is..

im wanting to take it out and take it to effingham il to get fixed anyone done this and any tips? talked to dealer and they hadn't messed with one in a long time.

thanks

·
Registered
998 Posts
I would imagine quite easy to take out really - apart from the weight. Taken a few out of older 88's before they had the flip up hood there. Just take a good look at the mounting points remove any bolts holding stuff in the way and lift it out through the top.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I have had a few of them out in 2377 and 2388 combines. It will come out of the radiator access door, need to remove the air to air cooler, and partially remove the other coolers. Not as bad as you might think it would be

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Air to air cooler...is that the first radiator that folds out and you put the rod down to hold it out..so you can see the large radiator? thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K i figured but thought id ask... why do i have to remove the other smaller coolers...are all of them held in by the same bars or something? just curious

·
Registered
137 Posts
Radiator will come out without removing any others, you have to remove the radiator to get the air to air out though. The air cooler does not swing out it is next to the radiator to the rear. What are people's thoughts on running the stop leak thru the engine?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Good luck with the repair.We did one on a 2388 and it lasted about three days.That epoxy just does'nt hold. We had to put a new rad in.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I used one bottle and it worked for a few days. Then well it was leaking terribly!!!!!!! To get by the next 4 days we dumped 3 bottles in and that's holding but the combine goes to our neighbors next year so I'm sending it to the radiator shop.

So the radiator is the first one that folds out. And the big one to the right of the smaller ones with the blades that turn is the air to air cooler? That's what's leaking

·
Premium Member
4,091 Posts
did you shut down coolant filter when you put in stop leak? if not all the stop leak will be in filter. what are the rads made of? hopefully not aluminum

·
Registered
998 Posts
They can be fixed if the damage is not too bad. We have had engine fans gouge them and have been able to fix them. Take it to radiator repair place and get it looked at. Not a hard job - just a pain to do. While you have the radiator out check the engine fan bearing and water pump.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
well getting it out wasn't too bad... actually had 2 other guys there and that helped... the hardest part was standing there with one foot on tire other on wobbly ladder and trying to hand it down.. haha

finally got our little giant ladder and made it into two ladders and layed that scaffolding across it and that worked great!! it let another guy get up there with me and we easily dropped it down..

day later its fixed..something about the seal... i just opened up that one radiator and wired it open a bit farther open than what that pole thing does...

thanks for the input guys

1 - 17 of 17 Posts