The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone else who is running a 2588 has had any trouble with the rotor gearbox? Had the rotor alarm going off yesterday and after some investagating seemed like it did not want to stay in low range. Talked to service manager at the dealership and no one was available to come out which was not a big deal as it had rained enough to shut us down for the day. Mechanic came out first thing this morning and did some adjustments and tried again. First trip down the field it jumped out of low range tried it in medium and it seemed to stay in but the adjuster outside the cab door was sloppy when the lever was in a gear. Mechanic checked and all the movement was coming from inside the gearbox. Figured we're going to have to put a new gearbox in but mechanic had to talk to service manager so that's fine. Called him later in the day and he hadn't talked to local rep yet so fine called back a while later and local rep told him that they know they have a problem and don't have a solution for it yet. Apparently they changed to this gearbox sometime in the late stages of 2388 production. Wondering if anyone else has had this problem yet? Running in corn and rotor is now 100 RPM more than i'd like. Still doing an acceptable job on grain loss and sample but know it could be better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That's interesting since we had our's pop out of gear several times in beans, mainly when it was tough and we couldn't figure out what was going on. We've had a lot of different axial flows and had never had this happen before.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Ive not heard of that either... I think in 2003 somewhere around there they made some changes..maybe thats when they went to a lil different gearbox.

The main problem we have is over winter when we get ready to use the combine the levers froze up and you can't adjust it from on the side..

Let us know what you find out...cause we would want our 2588 fixed..if they will update it or replace it with a different gearbox

·
Registered
19 Posts
I had a 2388 last week that lost low and med gear. Pulled the gearbox and the shifting setup inside was bad. Since they have a extra gear in there it looks like less splines engaged by the shift rail. The rail was broke and the fine slines on the gears were bad. Owner said the dealer had another one like it earlier.I put in a reman unit but doubt it is improved. What was wrong with the 2 speed box? Never have taken one out till this one. Sometimes it is better to leave things alone that work

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
what was wrong with the 2 speed

absolutely nothing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And your right it was build better cause of the spindle's your refering too if i remember right

·
Registered
66 Posts
i also know of a 2588 that the rotor comes out of 2nd gear cutting in heavy beans i am planning on changing out gearbox after harvest for the customer

·
Registered
245 Posts
I might know exactly what is wrong with your combine. We had this same exact problem on our 2577. It would not stay in low range at all. We took the combine back to our shop after we couldn't get it to stay in low gear. The lever by the cab of the combine and the one in the back of the combine feels like they are going positively into low gear, but they are not allowed to stay there because they are in a bind by the gear box. I will try to paint a description of what was wrong. It was an assembly problem, and I not only found it on our combine because of frustration, but I also found it on a 2588 that arrived to the dealer the same day ours did. It has nothing to do with the cable part of the linkage. It has everything to do with the lever that you can change the gear box with from the engine compartment. The linkage that goes to the lever was put together correctly. You will notice that the lever has 1 or 2 spacers that go between the lever and the ball and socket linkage. There is a bolt on the outside of the ball and socket linkage. The bolt goes through this ball and socket, but then also goes through a spacer (washer) before it threads into the lever. Now if you follow this linkage to where it connects to the gear box you should see a similar setup, but on ours the person at the factory assembled it wrong. They put the bolt through the spacer first, and then through the ball and socket next. The whole purpose of the washer is to keep the ball and socket linkage from binding with the linkage on the transmission. There is a lot of pressure on this linkage that wants to make it go back out of low gear when it is in a bind. This is probably hard to understand, so I will take a picture of it for you, but I don't know how to post a picture on this website yet so it might take me some time.

On a side note our gear box came out of gear 3 times in mid range for soybeans also, but this is just because it wouldn't positively engage. We had to shut the combine off until and put it into mid range while we were spinning the rotor pulley by hand. This made it go all the way into gear. I wouldn't think you should have to do this.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Interesting replies. We are making things work for corn but I am concerned about running the rotor so fast when we go back to finish the 150 acres of beans we have left to do. While a new gearbox would be nice we're not sure if we want one put in right away when the Case rep is saying that they do not yet have a proper solution for the problem. We did not begin having this problem until 210 Engine hours on the machine and are a little afraid of the same thing happening again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
We had the same problem with our 2588 after about 70hrs. It would not stay in high range so the dealer put a new gearbox in and then discovered that the new gearbox would not go into low range. We don't ever use low range for anything around here so after harvest they are going to put another new one in and hope for the best. We also have two other 2588's and they have been fine and all three combines are consecutive serial numbers.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts