The Combine Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Looking for some advice on setting up our 2588 for sunflowers. We have never grown flowers, so I have no idea, aside from the operators manual, for setting the machine.

Currently, we tried a small plot, and it is testing 11.5% moisture. Rotor is set at 300, concave indicator about 8. We are running 3 small wire concaves, and I have two large wire at my disposal. (I think I need to try those). Tried numerous chaffer and shoe settings, not getting much response to different settings. Seems to be a lot of fines, the same size as the seed and smaller. Fan is set to 800 rpm. Chopper set on low, with stationary knives down.

Are we grinding the heads up to much? Should I try the large wire concaves?

I should add we are using a 36' macdon 974, and its working ok. The flowers are yielding (preliminary) 1000 lbs/acre. I have 70 acres to do yet.

Any advice is helpful, thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Been several years but I think we setup with large wire and the keystock grates. This was on 2388, haven't cut flowers with 2588 and a little luck I won't lol watch out for smoldering fires. Hope this helps a little
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
On my 2388 i use 3 large concaves and 3 solid grates in the back. And fan speed kinda depends on how much the flowers weigh, i usually have the fan around 750. And my concave indicator is at 5. Sunflowers are kinda hard to clean, them fines are really tuff to get out. And with the seives start at the factory settings and just play with it from there. And no matter how dirty it is blow it off everyday. I usually keep a 3 gallon garden sprayer in the combine cause you are gonna get just little piles of dust the will smolder and the hand sprayer will put the smoldering out without blowing them sparks everywhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,126 Posts
I think solid grates are a must. The first year we tried flowers we set the 1480 like the book said, using slotted grates. The sample was terrible and nothing we did made it better. Our dealer said there was a typo in the manual and that it should say solid grates. We've tried two solids and a keystock before, but have had the best luck with three solids. If you don't have solid grates you can improvise by bolting some sheet metal to a slotted grate. It would be a heck of a lot cheaper for 70ac.


The heads coming out the back should be whole (or nearly whole), but your chopper might say otherwise. We don't have a chopper, so I can't say what that's supposed to look like. Sometimes some immature seeds will stay in the head, but they're worthless so there's no point in grinding up the head to try to get them out.

Like schumacherfarms said, they're hard to clean, and if you have any pigweed or kochia it's going to look nasty no matter what. I was able to get the flowers we cut in September looking really good, but judging by all the volunteer that came up after we planted wheat I think I can live with a trashier sample if it means saving more seeds.

Good luck!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Alright, I swapped out the two rear most concaves with LW, made a big difference. Slowed rotor down to 260. Finally getting a respectable sample. I can see how solid grates could improve the sample further, however my dealer doesn't have any in stock due to their lack of use in our area.

One odd occurance I have encountered with this 2588, is setting the bottom sieve wider then the top. Seems to be the only way to satisfy sample quality, return elevator alarm and losses. We can always get an acceptable job with the machine, but as to why our sieve settings are not like the 2388 and 66's we have had in the past, is beyond me. This is not just in sunflowers, but canola and durum too.

I can smell the potential fire hazard, even the dust that brushes by the engine exhaust when you turn a corner is enough!

Thanks for the replies, you guys are great!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Also speaking of the fire hazard, we put on our new 2588 on the exhaust and manifold was some specail wrapping. We had our dealer send it to somewhere in Canada and they wrap it with some high temp stuff and it has saved us on stopping all the time for amber fires. Really havn't had many around the engine this flower harvest. Did have one get under the sheet metal between the fuel tank and the cap area. Made for an interesting day. We had to drill a hole in the side of the metal so we could get a garden hose in for future fires... hope I could help you with that. I'll find out again what that wrap was called and where it was exactly. Good luck with flower's they are always interesting and always keeps us on our toes!
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top