The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Just what the heck is different

Does the bubble up auger come along with the deal

I get a set of washers on the slip clutch and some new color to the deal and new bolts for the wheels and longer flaps on the rear end..

How much faster is the unloading rate?

·
Registered
349 Posts
The Case magazine i got a few days ago says u get more horsepower too. The new unloading rate is like 3.2 or 2.9 bps, not sure what the 2388's rate is. You get a color monitor also. I also know HID lights are a opition now and u can retrofit 21 and 23 series with them. We haven't decided if we're going to trade up this year or wait another year, if we wait we're going to retrofit our 2388 with the HID lights. Demo'd a 9660, sure are nice

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
were going for the 2588 just because we still feel like its the best class 6 combine out there and great dealer support and well..we just have good luck with red

A local guy tested out the new class 8 deere this year and wasn't too impressed so looks like they will stay red...

but hey whatever works best for you

·
Registered
349 Posts
There were things i liked about the 9660 over the 2388 and there were things i wasn't a big fan of. We'll more then likely stay red but we had some problems with our 88 this year and we wanted to get a look at something different. Problem with going green is it costs a fortune to change headers and everything over.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Read in a magazine that a guy in Iowa is selling a larger gear that makes the unload auger spin faster to unload at the rate of 3.3 bu...........For $115 Sure would llike to try it, but maybe you guys can test it out first!

I know the only thing different in the lexions unload from our 575 (2.8 bu) to the 585 (3.3bu) is the size of the gear.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well we were going up to northern MO and saw a brand new 2588 on the lot...

I thought those were supposed to have a factory installed grain tank auger (bubble up auger)
??

i would hope so considering the fact they finally made alot of the common options standard and i doubt the washer's the put on the clean grain elevator clutch will do the trick...

Has anyone else heard about the extra auger being standard as well..

Also i wonder if we can order it with the Switch that changes the pitch on the draper head and the mounting bracket for the PTO Pump for the draper head.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Over here in England they are still going to call the 2588 a 2388, why on earth that is I don't know. They probably haven't changed anything and are selling off old stock at inflated prices. You may remember my post last year about parts costing at least twice as much as what you have to pay. That is why I get expensive items shipped over!!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Your not getting anything different in the 2588 than what everyone else gets with the 2388's they by

Sorry case but it is kinda pathetic..

A 20% Beefed up Clutch on the clean grain elevator = a washer on each spring...like everyone doesn't have one there anyway's

ahh..i'll be quiet...it could be worse

·
Registered
246 Posts
Quote:Yes they could have stopped making it altogether!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't believe that this is true. This combine is more affordable and proven than the 7010 so far. Getting rid of it could have possibly lost a lot of customers!

·
Registered
53 Posts
There are several changes in the 2588 to take note of...
1. Horsepower... 305 base boosting to 325. We ran this engine this fall in an 06 2388, and it is a very strong performer. For an electronic Tier 3 engine, it really performs.
2. Heavier rotor drive and transmission.
3. Factory hopper extension to 290 bushels. I know most people had one on already, but now the machine is built to take the extra weight... thus the 70% stronger second gear.
4. Faster unloading... 2.4 bushel/sec. There is a retrofit kit for 88 series combines.
5. Nifty vacuum system on the air screen to keep it clean.
6. Colour monitor, much improved over the past monochrome setup, with better software.
There are a number of additional mods as well.

This combine is still the best class 6 combine on the market... with no exceptions. From what I have experienced, the 2588 will run with most class 7's in the majority of conditions. There is still a huge market for this machine, and as other posters have noted, they should be in production for some time yet. Where possible, CIH is moving toward more commonality with the XX10 series. If you ever get to go to the plant at G.I., just watch the production moving down the line, and you will see that this is still the most popular combine that CNH produces.

·
Registered
122 Posts
We upgraded from a 2001 2388 to a 2006 this last fall and I was very pleased with the changes to the machine. It was a different combine, at least it seemed to be. In beans the afx rotor is unbelievable. We had a specialty rotor in the old machine but the new one beat it hands down. You will be happy with your new machine. Electronic throttle is neat too, no more having to shut off the fuel to turn the motor off. We run a 2208 on the machine but I think it needs a 2212. Maybe next year we will upgrade.

·
Registered
48 Posts
does anyone know if the 2588 offers a single point hydraulic hook up block for headers like the AFX series?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
yeah the afx rotor is very nice and im sure you did notice some changes..

also i hate this turn the key off and it kills itself....

we do roll combines i might point out so i like to turn the key off and not count hours then kill it later

anymore we find ourselves just shutting it down withought it cooling....

unless its the end of the day...

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:yeah the afx rotor is very nice and im sure you did notice some changes..

also i hate this turn the key off and it kills itself....

we do roll combines i might point out so i like to turn the key off and not count hours then kill it later

anymore we find ourselves just shutting it down withought it cooling....

unless its the end of the day...

This is exactly why it's scary for a farmer to buy a used machine- and why it would be nice if Case continues to provide an affordable Class 5 and 6 machine now and into the future.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts