The Combine Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
If you could provide some more details of what it is doing, we could probably figure something out.

Does it still have the 3 speed gear shift, and does it function?

When you were able to get it into gear, could you get it into all 8 gears? Forward and reverse?

I do recall having to remove the round shift cover off of many of those when they would get lost between gears, and that they were a lot of fun to get lined up again. Shouldn't have caused grinding though.

Any nasty debris or smell to the oil?

Does the clutch pedal feel like it has proper resistance and free play? Could be something simple like an adjustment came loose.

·
Registered
496 Posts
i got the 2705 done, but it didn't need most of it, just updates to the internals .. i don't know what the previous owner would have taken out on yours though ..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
yes it still has the 3 speed gear shift but it only has one speed and reverse but reverse is where first gear should be when you can get it in gear you can get it into all 8 gears and reverse the oil is clear and does not smell burnt we did have to over adjust the clutch to get the clutch break to work so we could get it into gear one of these days I will put a set of gauges on it and see if there is any pressure on the clutch packs where its supposed to be before we split it in half

·
Registered
828 Posts
yes it still has the 3 speed gear shift but it only has one speed and reverse but reverse is where first gear should be when you can get it in gear you can get it into all 8 gears and reverse the oil is clear and does not smell burnt we did have to over adjust the clutch to get the clutch break to work so we could get it into gear one of these days I will put a set of gauges on it and see if there is any pressure on the clutch packs where its supposed to be before we split it in half
I read this 3 times and still not making sense to me?
What powershift speeds still drive?
Does the manual 8 speed trans shift work properly or not?
Oil seeming clear and not burnt means little on those tractors, the oil never does smell bad even when all the discs are wiped out.
Removing the drain plug directly below the powershift and see what chunks fall in the pail can give a better indication.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Periods at the ends of the sentences would help. Seriously it would.

·
Registered
828 Posts
I'm leaning more to multiple problems.
Something is wrong with the main dry clutch in the flywheel if all it does is grind and wont release.
Possibly the trans brake disc has fallen off its mounting pin and possibly some seals are gone in the multipower unit.

·
Registered
496 Posts
if the tranny brake isn't used [ about 3/4 down], the clutch will take 10 - 15 seconds to slow down enough to get it into gear , using the trans brake helps quite a bit, but there are times when it gets halfway engaged and must be released a bit to get it all the way into gear ..

·
Registered
828 Posts
no it actully is one tractor its a long story of a back yard mechanic who claimed he fixed this tractor all up and converted to a standard I bought it at a auction and the most you were able to do with it was drive it back and forth a little bit and that it did fine .basical when I got this tractor home I just parked it until just a few days ago to try and figure it out found the previous owner bought it at a different auction for less money and gave it a wash job and said it is fixed sent it down the road, the sad thing about it I phoned him before the auction and he said he had fixed on it and a dealer did to that its good to go oh well not the first time I bought a lemon so that is why it was a bit confusing wasnt sure what heck I had the gear shift pattern in this tractor is different than other ones I do have a 2745 with a power shift sitting in the bush
After all this I'm real confused?
You think the tractor was converted to manual with the proper input assembly or not?
And they left the original shift tower in the cab?
It should be easy to tell from the inspection hole for the clutch if it was actually converted proper or someone just hacked the original multipower unit to get it gone.
I'm going to need pictures.

·
Registered
828 Posts
If this tractor was truly converted over to 8spd the input section is obviously different from a powershift model.
Either by the conversion kit from years ago or as Albertabuck said from a donor tractor.
And you will be able to tell the difference by removing the inspection cover for the clutch and put some trouble light in there and have a look.
Attached is the parts picture of a standard 8spd input section.
F1438936-86CA-443F-B314-BC7CE96F26B0.jpeg

·
Registered
828 Posts
Note 8 spd input assemblies only had one line in the clutch housing coming in from the left side of the tractor.
The front casting shape is quite a bit different from a powershift model.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts