The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
On what?

Is 10.67 lbs of N going to help?

You'll get leaf burn, you'll get some benefit (assuming corn) from what runs off and hits the ground. 28-0-0 doesn't really feed the leaf.

IMOYGWYPF

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
On what?

Is 10.67 lbs of N going to help?

You'll get leaf burn, you'll get some benefit (assuming corn) from what runs off and hits the ground. 28-0-0 doesn't really feed the leaf.

IMOYGWYPF
I have to try this once so I can have valid opinion about it. The other day I was turning out bulls and thinking about cleaning the manure out of trailer and this topic came to mind. Foliar feeding is like giving someone a meal via an enema. There is an outside chance some will absorb via the bloodstream but in reality it's a waste of time.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
I see the train of thought here, cleaning manure, enema. . .:D

My "opinion" on leaf burn, is a fact, it will.

Several years ago, when we were between functioning sprayers for a while and having it done custom, the guy would put some 28-0-0 in the spray and dad asked him about it. Dad really misunderstood what the guy was telling him. The guy had said something to the effect of "You can put up to 5 gallons per acre on if your corn needs a little boost in N." I could see some of it for the efficacy of the spray of course. And if the corn was really young where a lot of the spray gets to the soil, OK, maybe so.

But dad took it as "PUT 5 GALLONS TO THE ACRE ON WHEN YOU SPRAY CORN"!!! God it has taken me a lot of years to convince him to get away from that. He'd be out in corn 3 or 4 feet tall, too late for the chem he was using in the first place, nailing it with all that 28%, and by the next day it started looking horrible! My god, did you see the cornfield? I'd say... "Yeah. . .what?" Dad would say. Well, holy crap it looks about dead! "It'll grow out of it" Dad would say. I'm like, OK, it might survive, but you just turned thousands of lush green leaves to curled up brown ones, that can't be good!!!

I know this guy is only talking 1 GPA, but still.

And of course, that custom guy nor Dad ever bothered to make a check strip, so for yield benefit, I do NOT know, but have the opininion it doesn't help much.

·
Registered
977 Posts
The leaf burn with 28-0-0 will depend a lot on how much dilution and the daytime temp also , but in our experience if the crop is under stress " I wouldn't stress it anymore"
Dissolved or melted Urea is a lot safer on the crop for sure , have done it many many times now.
A gallon of 28% is going to give you around 3 lbs of N .
Depending on how you dissolve and dilute your Urea you can achieve that 3 lbs without any or very minimal burn .
In our system we dissolve to a 20-0-0 blend and carry that in the small tank and water in the main tank on water truck . We then add 1 , 1.25 , 1.5 or whatever up to 5 Gals / AC of the 20-0-0 depending on crop and what we are trying to achieve .
If it is hot out , I personally would stay at a 1 part 20-0-0 to 3 parts water mix or less , or you may tinge the leaf tips on wheat and Barley if that is what you are spraying , (they will grow out of it) (we also add a Agrotain Ultra to reduce the voladilization of the N)
If you are adding a fungicide or herbicide or both you may want to expand that ratio a bit more .

Dissolving or melting Urea is not very difficult at all , biggest thing I find is trying to get clean Urea that doesn't have chunks of P +K in it . If it is not clean I would recommend a strainer prior to the sprayer to get the chunks out .

There is a video on one of the threads showing a fellow from Alberta melting Urea . It is as simple as he says.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.