The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I run a small mixed operation and only seed about 600acres of oats and canola a year, mainly to keep the hay land in a good rotation and be self sufficient with straw. We have been doing it with old press drills, but my backside is getting tired of the hours required to do it the old way. I have found a few old (95-99) seedhawks in the 24 to 28 foot range and was wondering if anyone on here has experience with them. The ones I am looking at have on board tanks. My main questions are; can they seed into heavy sod? What would the horsepower requirements be? Do they have a quality metering system for canola? What are the main areas to look at for wear on these older drills?
Our two largest fwa tractors are only 140 pto horsepower and I am hoping to find a small enough direct seeding system that we do not have to upgrade our tractor and I thought maybe these would fit the bill.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hi there. Our first Seed Hawk was a 97 model. they will seed as good as a new one . providing it is straight of course. the valmar metering with the pencil augers running up to them looks little funny to the critical eye but can all work really well. You can watch the seed metering from the cab as you seed. If one hose plugs you can see it right away . There is no reason to leave a skip. The shank pressure is adjustable with a manual valve . Hope this helps

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Those old machines with the pencil augers take a lot of hydraulic flow and are very high maintainable, I am speaking from experience. There are a few machines around that had and actual val mar mounted right on the frame. If u could find one of these it would take way less hp and hyd. Flow. Some would already be set up for liquid. My choice would be to search for a toolbar only in your size ranch that might have a. Small air cart with it

It will pull heavy going into sod

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help. There is a 28' with liquid and a morris 6130 tank coming up at a dispersal auction, I may have to go take a look.
I may have to buy a larger fwa tractor for this upgrade in farming, but at least it can be used on haying equipment to help justify the cost.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts