The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy 28th Birthday, John Deere Turbo combines! Not sure when they started production back in 78/79 but thought I would wish all those old Titans still bringing in the crop a happy 28th birthday!
These combines may have gotten beat up back in there day, and yeah sure they may have been hard to work on for some, & yeah they had fire issues( mostly caused by operator neglect or poor maitence) But in my books they were a trusty machine. My cousin used to own a 7720, and growing up through the 90's, I started running her when I was around 10. Yeah sure they may not have all the bells and whistles. Some may have hated the engine beside the cab, but to me that was music to my ears!
. Those old Titans really sound nice when they are hard at work. Loved seeing the smoke pour from their stacks as they worked to bring in the harvest. Some may find there Hydrostatic transmission to be annoying, but like that the engine, that sound is music to my ears! Got to wish all those Titans: 6620's, 7720's, & 8820's still at work, another 28 plus years of service! Yeah I know, some people say why do you like the 20 series? I say, they were great combine, really well built and a combine series that should be reconized along with the IH 1400 series, NH TR's, Gleaners L & M 's & N series that changed how harvesting was done in the 70's. Three cheers to the mighty Titans!
: Take Care Jason B

·
Registered
553 Posts
Jason,

Congrats on keeping such a well maintained combine! I absolutuley love the big top (or hopper topper as you guys call them), it looks fantastic. I notice you have gone to some trouble to fabricate a spreader for your chaff, I think it is important to get a good even spread of chaff and straw. I agree, the 20 series were the main harvesting force along with MF 850/60's here in West Aust in the 80's. Impressive

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi

I agree, that is a beautiful looking 7720! She looks like new! Oh how I wish I could drive another 7720 some day! Since my cousin runs a 9610 now, I run it a bit but miss his 7720! Great combine and series! Long live the 7720'S!

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
In my early 20's, I was as enamored with the BIG Model 8820, as many of you now are, with the 9870, 9860, 8010, 590R and the like. Yes, in combines, size does matter, but getting back down, just one step closer to the Earth, I began to really appreciate the smaller 7720 for what it really was.....

First of all, the 7720 was made of the same steel as for the bigger 8820. That meant more structural strength by virtue of span measures. The 7720 was just destined by design and build, to be slightly more rugged and durable.

Next, as the trend for farmers and custom harvesters alike to just go with bigger combines, the enormously popular and America's favorite combine, the Model 6600, was effectively replaced not by the 6620 as much as the 7720. This thrust into place a second-one-down from the top size. I remember going to two really nice-sized Deere houses in the early 1980's, one in Cherokee, Oklahoma and of course, my local favorite, George Implement in Denton, Texas. Holderby in Cherokee NEVER had an 8820 for me to look at on the lot, any time I happened to be there, but I usually found at least 4-7 new 7720's. George had 2 to 3-8820's I remember seeing at different times, but I guarantee any given visit, I counted at least 2 to 5-7720's!

I was on harvest in 1981 with a crew of 7720's and 8820's. Naturally, I wanted one of the 8820's to drive, so was given one. Okay, it was good, but with that big 30-foot table, I soon found I was not as comfortable on terraces. That big of a combine also felt remotely "unstable" in some ways. After 3 days, I consulted the boss saying it was just more combine than I felt truly comfortable with, and relegated myself to one of the 7720's. The 7720's rather ambitious, if not a bit rambunctious driver--was more than happy to make the switch. I dont know about him, but I never looked back, nor regretted the change of seats.

I love the 7720 and it is my favorite Titan.

I second, long live the Model 7720!

·
Registered
886 Posts
Hah, Long live the Titans.

Mind you, they have been Beaten around the bush capacity wise.

I remember sitting on our Front porch when living at rangeview, I was a lil kid then. back in the 90's

I would watch Darb in the ol' 7700 (it was that or a 7720), He'd have the 77' going hard, yet Mr Brenan in his (then new) Case IH 2388 would have a row and a half on Darby.

And the 77 was so d**n loud! It would be revving its guts out, while the 2388 would just glide through the paddock, not making near as much noise.

But that was long ago, now the CTS II Has taken the 77's place, and Works better then Breno's Case!

·
Registered
1,636 Posts
I hope that 2388 went faster than the 77 it's a bigger combine!

Let me share our experiance with both combines.

Way when the 1680's first came out we had a 8820. Now my uncle worked at the local IH dealer and the salesman told him that a 1680 would eat up our 8820. So they brought out a 1680. The 1680 had a 20 foot head and the 8820 had a 22, this was in beans.

So they started off and there was no competition, the 8820 ate the 1680 and spit it back out

And just think that was the biggest combine IH made at that time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts