The Combine Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In looking at bourgault air seeders the faster fans all recommend using 3/4" couplers at the tractor to get enough flow. My tractors only have 1/2" couplers. Can you just get bigger ones from parts or what do you do?

·
Registered
230 Posts
We switched our fan circuit to 3/4 in thinking we would get more flow. Turns out the valves can only flow about 22 gpm anyway so we might have gained 2gpm. But it also is supposed to reduce heat build up which might be substantial. Hydraulic temp light never did come on if that means anything. There is also talk of routing the return line directly to the pump as the hydraulic transfer pump to the pressure pump on the tractor is maxed out at these high flows. But that would bypass the hydraulic cooler. This is on a NH P2070 precision behind a new to us Steiger 485 with a 55 gal pump. At times it seems there is a chatter in the hydraulics that comes and goes but it is not specific to any particular function. Maybe its there for up to an hour every 2-3 days. We still have homework to do by springtime. Tractor also pulls grain cart with hyd auger. It has 4 remotes on it so that needs to be changed over also which then means if you want to switch tractors on the cart there it is never just simple.

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
Some tractors have a "power beyond" option. Direct flow from pump and to return. You have to put in your own valve and flow control. Just looking into doing this for my 95E. Adjusting fan rpm is extremely touchy and I would like better flow for the fan. I would like to find a PWM type flow control valve so I can adjust it from the cab. Then use 1" or 3/4" couplers. I also need to make sure I sensor pressure back to the pump so it strokes up when and as needed. Like I said, just started looking into this.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've been wondering for a while now why the drill manufactures don't offer a setup using the power beyond system as it would be ideally suited to running the fans and especially the depth control on the independent opener drills

·
Premium Member
2,785 Posts
Sorry to be diverting this thread. What tractor do you have?

Many SCVs have a 1/2" coupler built into the valve stack. Some older open center systems might simply have a coupler mounted on the back. Most of the time simply adding bigger couplers won't help much with the valves and hoses being designed for 1/2". My 95E runs the fan and everything on my 3450 variable rate flexi cart just fine. I use 1/2" couplers for everything. No heating problems either. I would try it if you don't want to change things around. If it doesn't work at all I would guess your pump does not flow enough for the system.

·
Registered
370 Posts
in the beginning of air seeders and such we always used 3/4 couplers as not only did they flow more and reduce heat, they were dedicated to the circuit,,, as far as a brand flow control valve, they have been around forever, what they are is a pressure compensated valve that has a floating spool that adjusts flow regardless of the pressure to give the controlled flow port consistent gpm. they work very well, have great adjustment, have a lock on the adjuster, and have the capacity to shunt the excess flow to another circuit without losing gpm on the main. they are simple and reliable. all of these controls and couplers are readily available at any good hydr shop, and at most any major ag/industrial supply. hose size should also be upped on the fan circuit, as well as minimizing any fittings that impede flow, usually a fan drive needs a third case drain line as well that has minimal if any restriction and returns directly to the hydr tank, this is like a c/case vent on an engine and is an important part of the circuit as well as an indicator of wear in the fan motor..

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
This spring we switched over to a Flexicoil 5000 ( red paint so its a Flex 400 ) and the tow behind air cart that has the variable rate system. We knew others around the area that were also running the same configuration with a JD 8870 and yes its very marginal for hydraulic flow so certainly not the ideal tractor to be on the front of it. Never the less because we have fall applied the N, the fan speed doesn't have to be very high to put the balance of the fert and the seed through but since its all tied together on the cart to run the fill auger on the same circuit, we had no decent speed set for it as this vintage of JD has the manual flow adjuster on the back of the tractor, it would not be fun to reset the fan speed each time after a fill. So what I did which also does increase the maximum fan speed if ever needed was to tie into two SCV's by making up a T fitting and routing a short hose off the main 1" diameter hose for another 1/2 male coupler end. I only do this on the pressure side and plug off the exposed female SCV's with male ends with steel plugs screwed in so no dirt can fill into that side of the SCV's. Now on the return side this tractor already had the large hose with 3/4 coupler leading back to the hydraulic tank so I just plug into that for the return. It also has the case drain line and that has its own dedicated return to the hydraulic tank as well.

Why I didn't just make up a second T assembly for the return hose and make use of the two SCV's exposed, it was to reduce the amount of oil flowing back all within the return line of the whole SCV bank because when the drill is lifted or lowered the hydraulics are then maxed right out and flowing all it can so why create back pressure when it could be avoided was the general consensus and I had that return hose to work with so why not go ahead and make use of it. So what happens when we go to fill the air cart, I just kick in that second SCV that is set to maximum flow and we get all that the tractor can flow for good auger speed and kick it out when ready to seed again.

So the gist of speaking up about this is to get the point across that more than one SCV can be put into use for one hydraulic circuit reducing the back pressure on the pressure side and increasing flow at the same time, assuming of course that one has a spare SCV to use which we did.

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
To get the high-output fan speed to it's max you will likely need 3/4" couplers. I got by with 1/2" for a year but couldn't get max fan speed until I switched. Have to change the block the couplers mount to on CNH. I would go pioneer instead of those stupid metric ones that are impossible to hook up.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
219 Posts
Two things to watch by running your oil back to tank is your bypassing filtration and the oil cooler. You likely are finding a lower restriction path back to tank but your system is designed to take that return flow and route it back to help feed the pump to help at times like lifting at a headland where fan is demanding as well as implement lift. Thats a good idea using the two scv's T'd together for more flow.

·
Premium Member
4,393 Posts
To get the high-output fan speed to it's max you will likely need 3/4" couplers. I got by with 1/2" for a year but couldn't get max fan speed until I switched. Have to change the block the couplers mount to on CNH. I would go pioneer instead of those stupid metric ones that are impossible to hook up.;)
So the ones from Case are the metric ones? I would be tempted to look into some flat face couplers from the construction industry, keep things a little cleaner ;)

·
Premium Member
8,228 Posts
That's what RME puts on there typically. You have to be Mr. Universe to hook them up! Or loosen them and get an oil bath...:mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.