The Combine Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 07 Duromax that does general farm work pulls trailer a bit and a bunch of anhydrous tanks. I have Goodyear duratracs on there now, but noticed threads the other day. I liked the way they drive, fine on hwy, good in mud decent in snow/ice. My biggest problem was I only got 50,000 kms from them. This is my first 3/4 ton and I think pulling the nh3 tanks is pretty hard on them. Maybe that is all I should expect. Duratracs sure are popular around here. Just looking for something aggressive that would last a bit longer. Ideas?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Nothing but Cooper STMaxx on my duramax.

Best rubber compound for gravel roads that I have found.

I have tried all the major brands and the coopers are the only ones that seem to last.

Aggressive tread and awesome in snow and mud.

·
Registered
437 Posts
toyo m155 have heard lots say they are the best gravel/tread wear...?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Was so impressed with Coopers for the first time in my life I bought a second set. Use is on gravel roads, in and out of pivots and pulling trailers, headers, and the like. On an 03 Dodge Cummins with 530,000 kms. Happy with the tires and the truck.

·
Registered
78 Posts
toyo m155 have heard lots say they are the best gravel/tread wear...?
They are m55, I have a dually with a bale deck on it that I either have two bales on it or am pulling a 24 foot cattle trailer. Tried five different kinds of tires the other four lasted from 12,000-18,000 kms before they were shot, the toyos have 32,000 kms on them and still have 25-30 percent left. Truck goes 50-60 percent gravel. Only tire to buy for work truck. IMO

·
Registered
49 Posts
Nothing but Cooper STMaxx on my duramax.

Best rubber compound for gravel roads that I have found.

I have tried all the major brands and the coopers are the only ones that seem to last.

Aggressive tread and awesome in snow and mud.
^Have these tires on my work truck. have about 20k on them as of right now new truck 2014 :D anyways i see tons of gravel and lots of highway these stmaxx are a great all around new tire. They don't even look like they have any wear at all. And my trucks always loaded down . with tool boxes and cable. carrying lifts around and such. Very quiet and decent traction would buy again.

Another brand my work uses are Fierce Attitude .like i said our trucks are always loaded down and these tires are 50k min and we have always had good luck with them . little louder but a very decent tire.

·
Registered
14 Posts
fierce attitude mt had them on my 06 duramax was just under 300 per tire installed and balanced and stand up well on gravel

·
Registered
88 Posts
I run Toyo M55's on my pickups best load rating and least gravel wear they also have pretty good traction. i seem to get between 60-80k km out of them if I rotate. I have one truck set up on BFG KM2's definetly don't last as long but it goes anywhere I probably shouldn't have gone in the first place

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
They are m55, I have a dually with a bale deck on it that I either have two bales on it or am pulling a 24 foot cattle trailer. Tried five different kinds of tires the other four lasted from 12,000-18,000 kms before they were shot, the toyos have 32,000 kms on them and still have 25-30 percent left. Truck goes 50-60 percent gravel. Only tire to buy for work truck. IMO
I run Toyo M55's on my pickups best load rating and least gravel wear they also have pretty good traction. i seem to get between 60-80k km out of them if I rotate. I have one truck set up on BFG KM2's definetly don't last as long but it goes anywhere I probably shouldn't have gone in the first place
I have Toyo M55 on my Ram2500. Currently have about 30,000km on them. They should make it to 50,000km but I was hoping for more based on reviews and price!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Do you need mud traction? I like Michelin LTX AT2's but they are not going to compare to the Duratracs in mud, not even close. Their ice traction is also not the greatest. I swap to snow tires for the winter though. No tire gets half the traction a snow tire will in the winter. The reason I like the AT2's is the price, road comfort, even wear and the longest wear. If you want an all around tire though it may not be the best. I like the ones that are not OE sizes, seem to have better luck with them. Deeper tread and different tread pattern.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't need the mud traction more than a few times a year, I don't really go out looking for mud anymore. But I sure like having it just to know I can get through. I used to run full on mud tires, but got sick of driving sideways all winter long.
I like what I hear about the M55's. Priced them this morning at $330 installed. They told me fierce attitude and cooper st maxx were more.

·
Registered
790 Posts
I have Toyo M55 on my Ram2500. Currently have about 30,000km on them. They should make it to 50,000km but I was hoping for more based on reviews and price!

Andrew
That seems odd....I have been running Toyo MT's on a Dodge 2500 and have averaged closer to 100 thou per set....have gone through 2 sets now. These are 35 12.5 R17 full mud tires...load range E. Mix of highway and gravel and a fair bit of trailer hauling. Awesome in the mud....decent on ice....look great and last a long time. Only problem is the price!!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Check out Michelin XPS traction 50k tread wear warranty . Tried a lot of tires running gravel roads , have had pretty good luck with them only complaint is the price

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Check out Michelin XPS traction 50k tread wear warranty . Tried a lot of tires running gravel roads , have had pretty good luck with them only complaint is the price
I use the Ribs on our trailers. Great wear. All steel, tough tire.

If you only want mud traction once or twice per year I would just get a tire thats good on the highway. The M55 is a great tire, sounds expensive though. What size did you price?

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
fierce attitude mt had them on my 06 duramax was just under 300 per tire installed and balanced and stand up well on gravel
I also have these, they are only 50k mile tires but with an E load rating and good rotating timing, I am very happy with them.
My next truck is getting the semi tire conversion thought. Worth the 3k in my mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts