The Combine Forum banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
What if your field looks more like this:

View attachment 164125

Not mine, just the first nasty example I found on google earth. But how do you manage multiple combines on something like this? How does the cart ever get from A to B in time? Is auto steer of any use at all? And how do they seed with anything bigger than a 12' press drill?

With apologies to whoever farms this piece if they happen to see it posted here.
I think you just shave your head pre harvest season and save the hair pulling and loss due to stress. In that situation I think the budget would have to fit just 2 combines.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·

View attachment 164125

Not mine, just the first nasty example I found on google earth. But how do you manage multiple combines on something like this? How does the cart ever get from A to B in time? Is auto steer of any use at all? And how do they seed with anything bigger than a 12' press drill?

With apologies to whoever farms this piece if they happen to see it posted here.
Looks like a golf course not a field

· Registered
1,620 Posts
I think you just shave your head pre harvest season and save the hair pulling and loss due to stress. In that situation I think the budget would have to fit just 2 combines.
But which 2 combines. Since this is a JD thread, I'm thinking probably 2 JD 55's would probably be able to negotiate between the obstacles on that one.
Not sure if even they could fit into this one though:
Brown Military camouflage Wood Organism Grey

• Haha
Reactions: lanwickum

· Registered
1,620 Posts
What is the price per acre of that land?
I don't know. The first picture I found east of Donalda Alberta. The second I think was west of Yorkton.

Price per arable acre, or tilled acre? They would be much much different numbers.

· Registered
1,620 Posts
That needs farmed with a D8 cat until there are no sloughs
I enjoy a challenge and have a D8 just for such occasions, but I think the only solution to that one is a fence around the perimeter.

· Registered
1,059 Posts
Lots going on in those fields to keep awake. Would take a very good grain cart/truck driver to find the combine at night. Sectional control should pay well.

Some fields have no efficient way to work them.

· Registered
1,620 Posts
Perspective is everything. A guy with no land would take that in a heartbeat. The neighbor beside it would take it because it’s right there. Understandably, the guy with flat, square fields isn’t all that impressed. Just saying
I fall somewhere inbetween. Some jerk superimposed a square grid on top of our diagonal topography, so nearly every field is a diamond or triangle, but very few obstacles in between, I have managed to get rid of any obstacles there were.
Very jealous of those with flat square uninterupted fields, and with the shortage of any land available locally, I'd probably settle for one of these nasty looking obstacle courses right about now.
How about this one, would need to pack a lunch just to do the first round.
Ecoregion Vertebrate Organism Mammal Grass

Or this, might be record number of obstacles:
Textile Organism Font Pattern Design

· Registered
58 Posts
I fall somewhere inbetween. Some jerk superimposed a square grid on top of our diagonal topography, so nearly every field is a diamond or triangle, but very few obstacles in between, I have managed to get rid of any obstacles there were.
Very jealous of those with flat square uninterupted fields, and with the shortage of any land available locally, I'd probably settle for one of these nasty looking obstacle courses right about now.
How about this one, would need to pack a lunch just to do the first round.
View attachment 164131
I would take til noon to do the first round, but you’d be done the field by 3!

· Registered
300 Posts

View attachment 164125

I do know this piece and I do know who farms this. Land is owned by an outfitter and is rented to a farmer in the area. Outfitter wants the bush and sloughs so I doubt it’ll ever be cleaned up. Google earth also doesn’t show its rolling topography. Many sloughs can’t be drained unless you can figure out how to make water run uphill. Gets seeded by a couple 60-70’ drills. Sprayed with 120’ sprayer and harvested by 4 class 8 combines and a grain cart. Equipment is all new and modern.

To the flatland square field guys they can’t wrap their head around land like this. To those of us that live and farm here we do what we have to do as our families have done for over 100 years. There is lots of big open land that won’t yield like this piece either. This piece is an extreme example of land here but yeah there are some of us than can still drive without auto steer turned on all the time. Sectional control pays huge here.

JVW doesnt your family own land in the area?

· Registered
1,620 Posts
I do know this piece and I do know who farms this. Land is owned by an outfitter and is rented to a farmer in the area. Outfitter wants the bush and sloughs so I doubt it’ll ever be cleaned up. Google earth also doesn’t show its rolling topography. Many sloughs can’t be drained unless you can figure out how to make water run uphill. Gets seeded by a couple 60-70’ drills. Sprayed with 120’ sprayer and harvested by 4 class 8 combines and a grain cart. Equipment is all new and modern.

To the flatland square field guys they can’t wrap their head around land like this. To those of us that live and farm here we do what we have to do as our families have done for over 100 years. There is lots of big open land that won’t yield like this piece either. This piece is an extreme example of land here but yeah there are some of us than can still drive without auto steer turned on all the time. Sectional control pays huge here.

JVW doesnt your family own land in the area?
Thanks for the boots on the ground explanation. There's always more to the story.

Yes, my family does still own land in that area that my grandpa and his brothers farmed at various times. It looks nearly as broken up as that piece does, but was reported to be one of the most sure crop farms in the area according to the elevator manager back in Grandpa's day. Which is why I went looking at that area to find an example.
If it belonged to me, I would spend about a week with the D8 and make a few improvements.
Do we happen to know each other?

· Registered
665 Posts
At my busiest time we running cart we had 3 neighbors class 8 combines and then a class 9, and kept them all moving with an 875 cart. I would recommend cutting perpendicular to the main headland the trucks come on, with the trucks meeting the cart on headland where the combines are if possible on a dry year. Cart unloads all the combines as close to handland as possible to minimize driving time or having to go all the way around the pass. Unload them there even if they arent full. If you cant always get them at the headland the cart should never wait for someone to get full because they wont get to the next one on time, just unload whoever is next in order regardless of how full they are. I would also recommend bin extensions

· Registered
2,276 Posts

View attachment 164125

Now we are talking.
Welcome to eastern Saskatchewan.

· Registered
300 Posts
Thanks for the boots on the ground explanation. There's always more to the story.

Yes, my family does still own land in that area that my grandpa and his brothers farmed at various times. It looks nearly as broken up as that piece does, but was reported to be one of the most sure crop farms in the area according to the elevator manager back in Grandpa's day. Which is why I went looking at that area to find an example.
If it belonged to me, I would spend about a week with the D8 and make a few improvements.
Do we happen to know each other?
I doubt you know me. I know of you. My Dad knew your Grandpa. I farm in the area so I know the property that you guys still own.
I still maintain that just because the land is flat and square doesn’t always make it good land.

· Premium Member
2,922 Posts

View attachment 164125

I have seeded a field a bit like that. So easy to get lost and wonder if you seeded everything. Very not efficient. I had places I bet I seeded 3-4 times. I vote to seed those fields into hay and let them grow. The baler can have fun following the swaths. 🤣 FYI, the field I did was not from water holes. It was from rock hills. It should have never been broke out from sod. I spent 5 summers of my life picking rock of that field, by hand.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts