The Combine Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
456 Posts
more meters the merrier

I only have 3 and wish I had 4. Maybe I am the only bourgault owner who believes this, but I think those meters are quite sensitive to density changes in product. Before I figured this out had plug situations that occurred after crop switchovers - bit of one fert prod left in tank and filled up with other product. I think the more uniform you can keep product in each of those tanks the less you need to worry about plugging(this still happens to me more often than I care for). Also, I get really tired of crawling inside those tanks and changing the bin configurations - particular after fert has made those wingnuts more pleasant to deal with.

·
Premium Member
1,024 Posts
You can get quite a few more acres per fill in peas/canola with the fourth meter, depending on your rates it'll range from 20-30 more acres which adds up in a day. We only use the 4th meter in Canola and peas though. Last year we had a unit with 4 and one with 3 and this year we decided to add a 4th to the other unit, cost 6400 in parts and then we did the install ourselves. Wasn't too much to it.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Meter your N blend out of 1 and 2 Canola out of 3 and P out of 4. At 180 lbs/ac (143 lbs on 1 and 37 lbs on 2) should give you an extra 30+/- ac over just using tank 1. At 5 lbs/ac you have enough for 2 fills of canola. Can't quite make 2 fills on the P at 50 lbs/ac unfortunately. Canola is the only crop we use it for but its still worth it in my opinion.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have a 6450 with 3 meters and really wish I had 4. The doors in the 3rd tank to combine it either of the other two are too small to reliably flow treated wheat or P. The wheat will flow enough if you are only putting down 60# or so and not in hilly terrain. Had some really ugly looking fields b4 discovering this.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
I use the flex tank with phos/n mix (15-35) with my center tank, flows just fine. Don't convert to use with front tank, it doesn't flow as nice that way. Put a $300 camera system in your tanks, then you know for sure whats flowing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.