The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm updating our sprayer tender truck and are switching to 3" plumbing. Just curious about the pump. Leaning towards a Banjo for the simple fact all other fittings including mix tank venturi are all Banjo. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Sorry, its not the brand, it a chinese knock off of a honda, I call them Chonda for short. Last one I bought didnt even have a name on it, just the cc displacement of the motor. They ususally come on sale throughout the winter to springtime.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The ones from youngs caseih or newholland called "power ease" are cheap and good.

Princess auto might even be the same one with a different name on it. I bought a air compressor for 1000 at PA and it needed a small part but they dont make any parts for them so have to chuck it. So the thing I learned is buy cheap stuff there but go somewhere else for anything over a couple hundred.

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
The way I look at is that I don't want the half price Honda knock off pump holding up a $250,000 sprayer because the pump won't start and I can't get parts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The way I look at is that I don't want the half price Honda knock off pump holding up a $250,000 sprayer because the pump won't start and I can't get parts.
you have a point here but ..... you don't ever look for parts ...throw it in the junk and rip to town and by another chonda . I bought one and I think it has ran three summers without a glitch .....custom spraying so it is used a lot . im pretty sure it was just over $300. hope it runs a couple more years

·
Premium Member
3,107 Posts
you have a point here but ..... you don't ever look for parts ...throw it in the junk and rip to town and by another chonda . I bought one and I think it has ran three summers without a glitch .....custom spraying so it is used a lot . im pretty sure it was just over $300. hope it runs a couple more years
Exactly, while you are driving to town for another pump and getting fittings and changing pumps out, I just sprayed another quarter section and more then paid for a good pump.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Exactly, while you are driving to town for another pump and getting fittings and changing pumps out, I just sprayed another quarter section and more then paid for a good pump.
We are commercial applicators. We run both, both have banjo pumps. Usually the pump seal goes. Eventually the shaft is bad (after a few seal kits). And you throw the thing away. It seems to be the same for Honda and chonda. We buy chonda pumps for $140 from our fert dealer. Hondas for $400. Been through lots over the years. Mostly guys argue emotion on things like this. So buy whatever makes you feel right. If we torture the #'s enough we could all make them say what we need to support our opinion.

All I can offer is my experience. And that is that all the extra $260 buys you is the satisfaction of buying a name brand. That's about it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
X2 with the Chinese knock offs. I have 3 years on my pump that I use for melting urea, and second pull every time it fires up. So far no problems, and for the price difference, I had a second one just sitting there in case. Still haven't used it. I also have Chinese knockoff engines to replace my wheel line mover motors OEM Briggs cuz I was tired of pulling my guts out trying to start them in the mud. They were Champions from Costco and were $169.00 for a 8 horse. 5 years in never had problems except when mice turned it into a condo, which every motor is susceptible. Got rid of that problem, too this fall by switching over to pivots.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
I could get a lot of spraying done in the four hours it takes to get to my nearest Chonda dealer!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.