The Combine Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few years back (maybe 10 to15?) I remember seeing in the Furrow where John Deere had just came out with a 30 foot "discbine" head that went on the front of their chopper - it just laid out 3 windrows and had no means of conditioning.

Did they actually make such a thing? I can't seem to find any mention of it anywhere nowadays.

Just wondering as I was thinking about it as I was swathing the other day.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Claas made a triple mower set up that you hooked up to that laid the hay out then you put your pick up head back on to chop. Could never see the desire to put extra hours on a high dollar machine

·
Registered
12 Posts
I’ve been shopping around for a set of triple mowers for couple years and doing a ton of research, I’m down to claas , krone or Pottinger . I’m leaning towards Pottinger as there rep over in Europe is outstanding . The dealer in mb I don’t much trust but I talked to the sk dealer at agribition and seemed to really know the machine from service stand point not sales I like that .

·
Registered
547 Posts
I have V10 Pottinger and it has been excellent, would recommend. Pottinger Canada Rep is excellent too. They wanted to come out to the farm when I started using for the first time (2017) to make sure all was good but they did the setup at the dealership well (had my tractor for that, and rep was on hand during dealer prep) and I didn’t think it was necessary and I had no problems on my own. Only issue was tractor was too small for it and I had to buy a larger tractor. Takes a lot of hp in my area. I run the roller conditioners.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What size tractor you running new farmer ? What part of Canada are you in? The guy at agribition said he’d like it see 250hp on a large frame tractor . What difference in v10 vs a10’s he didn’t even mention the v10’s to me.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Looks like the A10 replaced the V10, not sure all the changes, but I am sure they are all awesome. My V10 is a 2017. I have the roller conditioners. I am in the Peace. I had it on a 230 pto hp tractor, now I am on a 290 pto hp tractor. It would run at 100% engine power and it would overheat in short time and go into ‘limp mode’ and restrict the speed, was really frustrating. Cooling system was too small, in that tractor design (New Holland T7.270). I installed a reversible fan the next year thinking the radiators were getting plugged from all the clippings (which it does) and it didn’t help the particular problem, so that was an expensive addition. We only get one cut here and when we cut in July the hay can be 3-4’ high, so it is heavy going. I speed right along now (T7.315) if you aren’t careful you will lay more down than you can dry and bale before your weather window ends.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What made you pick rubber roll over the tine? I was leaning toward there fixed rubber block mounted tine . Can you maintain 10 mph well cutting ?

·
Registered
547 Posts
What made you pick rubber roll over the tine? I was leaning toward there fixed rubber block mounted tine . Can you maintain 10 mph well cutting ?
I do alfalfa and so favour the rollers over the tines for leaf retention, though I have no experience with tines myself, it’s just always been that way. I am told the rollers take more hp, especially if run tight clearance like I do.
I can do 10mph no problem, can easily lay down more hay than you can dry and bale if you are not careful (weather windows).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was thinking of doing the same thing . Sorry for peppering you with questions lol but your doing exactly what I want to do. What kinda rake are you using dealer has an side delivery Pottinger 691 that a really good price but Im kinda thinking center delivery

·
Registered
547 Posts
I had the 691 first, but it was a bad match for the 30’ cut. You can only merge two rows together (so rake 20’ worth of hay). That wasn’t enough and I struggled with windrow size and ended up with ugly bales. Nothing wrong with the rake, you just have to match all the equipment together for your setup.

So I traded for the 842 center delivery. Problem solved, I can rake full 3 swaths from the 30’ cut and the windrows are nice and big and as wide as baler pickup (Vermeer 605) and baling is a dream. I probably should have got the 962 rake but it was mid season and the 842 was in stock.

Because I ted it is not and issue, but if you didn’t ted then you wouldn’t be turning the center swath with the wide center delivery rake, something to consider.

The tedder I am using is the HIT 10.11.

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
NewFarmer, Just curious what you are doing with the hay in Peace region? The only operations using such equipment that I know of are growing hay for export or dairy. Or are you putting up cow hay?

·
Registered
547 Posts
I make hay for sale for horse and cattle, for BC and AB. Not for export. Just round bales. Have covered storage building to protect them and minimize waste.

·
Registered
12 Posts
How much faster to do you think the tedder dries down the hay ? Vs just blowing it out the back the width of the mowers and leaving it a few days before raking

·
Registered
547 Posts
How much faster to do you think the tedder dries down the hay ? Vs just blowing it out the back the width of the mowers and leaving it a few days before raking
I cut a day off my cycle with the tedding, which is huge. But we cut early July, ideally. I think if one was cutting later with more mature hay, it is already drier and may not be required.

The other thing to consider is that you can open the rear butterfly mowers wide open, but the discharge from front mower has to clear the wheel width of your tractor. I can’t remember my wheel spread, I have the wheels set pretty wide.

Anyway, so you might get non-uniform drying if you have two rows spread wide and the center row tighter. But depends on how heavy the vegetation is you are cutting too I suppose.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts