The Combine Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
I am in Nth Eastern Vic , below the snowline of Mt Buller. Had a cold not overly wet winter and now looking for a good spring. We had the highest early autumn rains anyone has ever seen around here wich made for an easier winter on the stock. Like Doorknob I grow grasses for seed, but mainly pasture ryegrasses and some cocksfoot. The seed production here is quite small compared to the Willamette Valley, I'm sure the valley was made just so Doorkb could grow those magnificent high yielding crops there:p.Traditionaly the yields are higher up there I think the major factor being that the growing season is around 3 months longer and nice and cool ripening. We get a similar cold winter here that they get in Oregon which is critical for the vernalisation that grasses need for good germination rates.
Apparently there are not to many places around the globe that are consistant for that. A friend once grew some grasses up top end of the Murray River in the hills and after a couple of crops he had a complete germination failure one year because of a mild winter.
Do you grow any crops there on KI?
Yes we grow around 1200 hectares of field crops. At least half canola year to year and the balance legumes and cereals. We also have 800 hectares under pasture for sheep. Merinos for wool and prime lambs. What a magic spot it must be to live there near mt buller.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes we grow around 1200 hectares of field crops. At least half canola year to year and the balance legumes and cereals. We also have 800 hectares under pasture for sheep. Merinos for wool and prime lambs. What a magic spot it must be to live there near mt buller.
Yes, we have some magnificent high country surounding us here, lending itself to lots of snow,trout and deer. It's not a bad back yard if one makes time to use it.
What machinery do you run for all those hectares Will and how do you get on for backup?

·
Registered
523 Posts
Mostly John Deere gear. Jdparts.com is our saviour I can have parts by nine the next day out of Melbourne if I order befor four in the arvo. Have a local John Deere dealer but do most of our own work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
main reason for low cutting is to allow as much sunlight to the crown to help promote new tiller development (more seed heads for the following year). Thus why some fields are hayed/cut again in the fall if the growth is too much.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts