The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going to look at a used 3016 pick up front for harvesting canola.
Our old front is running out of puff after arriving here in 1986 and several modifications from MF 3342 pto to MF850 then case 2166 and 2388.
Appreciate any input good or bad
thanks WF

·
Registered
12 Posts
We ran one last year. Have a good look at the finger bushings as they had a bad batch of headers last year that wore the bushings out in no time, sometimes well into the steel. Ours did it in under 200 acres. Fingers were timed right and dealer and CaseIh couldn't explain it. I like the feeding of the MacDon PW7 or the CaseIH 2015 better than the 3016. Changing the height of the pickup for one person is difficult on the 3016. Windguards are a bit of a joke on the 3016 also. 3016 Header has some nice features like the flotation and overall design just needs some fine tuning.

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
We used to run the MacDon PW7 and loved it. Now we have 3016s and they are good too. We like that there are only three belts, and I believe the middle belt has an internal frame member so the rollers don't flex as much as the MacDons. Also like that they are mechanically simpler, with the hinge point separate from the rear roller bearings. That was a big weak spot on the MacDons. The MacDon does cut across a swath better; the 3016 tends to catch a lot of material on the divider when you turn into a swath.

We found the secret to getting the 3016 to feed is to not put as much weight on the wheels. We set our suspension pressure and feeder height such that the pickup is just barely pushing in the suspension cylinders, if that makes sense. This keeps the angle relative to the drum much better (steeper) and we don't have significant feeding issues.

Don't get casters; the fixed wheels are the only way to, and I never had problems changing the height on those wheels with one person.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.