The Combine Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who here has made the transfer on a 2388 from one to the other

we are looking at tradeing maybe both heads and getting 2 36ft drapers

Also they would be the 3rd model they offere something 2062 i believe is what they call it

Thanks

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Flex.....yeah i saw that on the case website but the guy here kept talking about case has 3 models and he kept talking about the 62

42 is rigid 52 is kinda like our 1020 flex head and the 62 has more flexability.

NO biggie either way

also these two heads are slightly used....they have 1 season under them

also yeah the price difference is a lil out there....

we also will get some weight's on the back axel and a 3rd lift cylander if we buy these

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well i took a look at the two 36ft 2062 heads today

Sure looks like alot of hydralic motors and lines

Im guess what doesn't anymore

How hard is it to hook up the right side hydro pump to the shaft????

Bet thats fun to do when she's nice and warm

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:well i took a look at the two 36ft 2062 heads today

Sure looks like alot of hydralic motors and lines

Im guess what doesn't anymore

How hard is it to hook up the right side hydro pump to the shaft????

Bet thats fun to do when she's nice and warm

Just wear some leather gloves when you do that. I keep a pair with me in the combine all the time anyway. I'm not sure exactly how heavy it is, but it isn't too bad.

-Lance

·
Registered
632 Posts
We know a guy who went from a 2388 and 1020 30ft flex head to a CaseIh 8010 and a Macdon 36ft flexdraper.He loves the flexdraper head but the 8010 sure gave him a fit until he got all the bugs out of it.I don't recall all of the problems he had with the combine but it sounded very familiar with what I've read on this and other forums.He said he took a chance on buying this head as there were so few out being used by others and Macdon wouldn't let him demo one.He tells me it does an excellent job of shaving the ground in soybeans and there is virtually no header loss like he experienced with his other auger-type flex heads.I never saw it run but a neighbor of ours did and he was really impressed.Last winter at a farm show we talked to a Macdon rep. and he told us that a 30ft Macdon flexdraper would cost slightly more than a JD 630F Hydraflex so they know they have a better product and are not afraid to price it accordingly.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Thanks for the info and i guess we just bought both of them so here it goes.

Im really looking fwd to it but dad's still wondering if we did the right move

and if we will be able to tell the difference or should i say was it worht it...

we are seeing it might pay for itself in 3 years so hopefully thats the case

Thanks guys and im open to hearing more from people who run these

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
Quote:How long have you ran one and whats your opinion on it...Compared to a 30 ft 1020

2388 combine....Both combines have the new rotor ect..ect..

To be honest here, I've only got about 20 hours of seat time pushing around a 36' MacDon header, the non-flex kind, cutting wheat. I ran with Johnson Harvesting in 2004, and we hand 2 machines set up like that, the rest with 30' 1010 heads.

I would say that on the average day, the 1010 machines were driving maybe .5 MPH faster than the MacDon guys were. If we are at the limits of the machine, not of the header, then you are limited to throughput. However, there were plenty of days where the MacDon heads could cut so much better than the 1010s, that I couldn't believe it. I really noticed it in good wheat where you get that "swirl" of wheat heads right in front of the throat on a 1010. There is just too much material in the way and at that fast, you start leaving a 1' wide trail of uncut wheat right in the middle under the throat. A draper doesn't have that problem.

It also took me a bit to get used to the physics of them as well, like when cutting through uneven ground. The sickle is 1 or 2 feet further out, and you have to just account for that. When I was so used to the 1010, it took a bit of a change to get used to it.

As for soybeans, I don't know there. Here in Eastern Iowa, I believe our ground is just too uneven to get away with a flex draper. They just don't have the same kind of flex that a 1020 has. In flat land though, oh yeah.

-Lance

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the input.....We do have some flat ground but once we get south of town it gets pretty rolly..for our area....and it sounds like going with this 2062 instead of the 42 and 52 will give us alot more flex...

so they say...

Something else we were talking about.....How do i i guess turn the headers pitch (i guess is what youd say)

you can change the angle of it? or something like that

do you run a switch up into the cab of the combine? or what???

thanks

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
There is one hydraulic cylinder that connects the feederhouse adaptor to the rest of the head. They add another rocker switch in the cab that, when on, makes your reel adjustment control move this cylinder instead. You don't need to re-plumb any hydraulic lines, the switch takes care of that. It's really pretty simple. The switch should come with the header adaptor for a case combine, and it looks just like the rest of the switches on the console in the cab.

-Lance

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
WE just talked to the salesman once or twice and he wasn't sure and couldn't get ahold of anyone while he was here looking at our two heads

Plus id rather ask farmers questions anyday compared to a salesman

No offense to any sales people

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah i think from what the guy thought if there was anything to come along with it to run into the cab it would come with the adapter

cause there are a few other things that come with it..

I guess here's my next question...since we roll combines is there a way you can get this pre installed into them?

Just curious

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Do you guys loosen the belts at the end of the season and leave them that way untill season

also they showed me on the middle how to tighten anyone have a certain way of going about that or just judge by the feel of it

thanks

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
They recommend you take the belts off at the end of the season, roll them up, and store them somewhere that the mice cannot get at them. If you leave them on the header in the shed, there is a chance the mice will eat holes in them.

-Lance

·
Registered
632 Posts
Speaking of drapers and off topic my neighbor kid and the cutting crew he's with have made it to Pierre SD.(northwest of Oahe Dam)They've been there a week already.That's how fast it's going.The other morning he was servicing his combine when he heard a rattling noise coming from the header.He got close enough to see a 4ft rattle snake had crawled in between 1 of the canvas' on draper head!
.One of the foreigners on the crew(no fear of deadly snakes where he's from)grabbed a grain trailer hopper crank and killed it.
Can't be too careful in rattler country! The next day he had to change a canvas in 104F heat.Thought this was a heck of a job to do in the heat.The wheat they are cutting is yielding from 0 to 15 BPA.with one field doing 11 bpa.
.He doesn't know why they bother cutting it.All are looking forward to the end of the season.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Trust me when i get the manual i'll go threw it big time...

this is just a tad different than the 1020's we had lol

im excited thou...so that's some of (okay all of me) wanting to ask questions and what not..

but i seen where you were comeing from and all..so no big deal

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
LOL......Good story by the way

i'll make sure to look out for snakes...

And sorry to hear that on the wheat.....been there and done that with corn and beans that avg what you said and that really does suck

Seems like a big waist of time and money

1 - 19 of 19 Posts