The Combine Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2388 with a 30ft IH flex draper the dealer is putting the header on the machine. I know the draper is heavy do I need extra weight on the rear and third hyd lift cylinder on the machine?

·
Registered
277 Posts
i was just looking at the manual and it said for a 30ft flex you are suppost to have weights in back. If thats the case a flex draper would need weights forsure. But i dont know im new to these machines as well.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If it was me I would. You could get by without it but it will lift better and be much more stable with the weights in the back. Good luck.

·
Registered
102 Posts
When I had a 2388 with a 30' mac Don 973 on it, the very first day I had it out I did about 20 acres then had the local tire place put fluid in the rear tires. It was really unstable. It added about 900 lbs I think. That helped out tremendously. I don't think you need the third cylinder. It worked fine for me just having the two. You just had to have a high idle to get it to raise the header high enough for the lock out to engage.

·
Registered
475 Posts
We put a 30ft 973 on our 2188 this year and didn't bother with the fluid or cast weight. What a mistake! I was bootin down the road at 19mph and pulled back on the hydro to avoid a big lump of dirt that the grader left on the side of the road. Can anyone guess how high the back wheels would be off the ground if the header was only 6" off the ground? I have no idea and I don't want to know.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
put some fluid in the tires and well

you will find out when you hook it up if you need the 3rd lift cylindar lol.

i hooked our 2388 to our 36ft and it lifted it a half of a inch.

called the boss and ordered a lift cylinder.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I have a 2000 model 2388 and we put a 30ft 974 Macdon on it 3 years ago. Couldnt lift it without the third cylinder. We have the rears full of fluid but dealer also recomended the weight kit. 800lbs of suitcase weights were added. With the 974 on it travels down the road like a dream. With the 14ft pickup header it is really sensative on the steering side with all that weight but we dont run with that on that much.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Quote:We have a 30ft draper and our 2388 without the 3rd lift cylinder or weight is just fine.

Just fine until you're like me and pull back on the hydro at 19mph...sometimes emergencies happen.

Reactions: Ralph

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not sure on 23's, but a 2188 will lift a Honey Bee 36' (should be heavier) fine with the two factory cylinders - although they recommend putting one larger one on. Did they offer 2388's with 3 cylinders?? I know they did with the old ones, but I don't remember the 21's having the brackets for another one.

As for balance, we push a 960 MacDon 30' with a 1480 w/ a factory chopper (adds a little to the back end, but not much), and it works okay without weight in a pinch - but a few hundred lbs. made it a lot safer. It HAD to have the 3rd cylinder, but they were a lot lower hydraulic pressure, too. The HB's needed weight - you couldn't move 'em around the yard, even, they didn't have enough weight to even steer, they'd just slide the tires.

For weight, chloride is simple, cheap, quick, and works very good - but there's room along the rear axle pivot to build a bracket and hang 8 or so suitcases along each side perpendicular to the machine. I'm not sure which stresses the axle more.....

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
plus you get just about as much weight when you fluid the tires as you do with the 12 row ready suitcase weight brackets.

(sorry can't remeber how many weights were on that machine)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts