The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Talking to Louis Melanson at the recent combine clinic around here, and having looked at the rigid model, I wouldn't be afraid of this header at all. I really like the MacDon FD70, but from what I can see this header should do everything MacDon can. Just watched a video of it cutting white beans. Looked good to me. Louis said on flat ground it cuts every bit as well as the MacDon. On rolling ground it cuts a bit better. It is a bit heavier than MacDon's header.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Yeah it's easy to cut on the ground...any head does that reasonably well. But try cutting 6" or 1 foot off the ground, and then the MD will all all over it. Why? Because the Case must rely on electronics to control the height up and down, and the MD follows with the float frame. Trying cursing along at 5 mph and drive in a hole and se how bad the Case slams the ground. Or try cutting up and over a terrace and see how much lag the Case has. It's not better than any other mechanical height control is, and that's not really comparable to a float frame. Deere FlexDraper is the same deal...it can't compete with the rigid D series with the float frame. If that's not how you are going to use the head, then it might be fine (like soybeans). But it wheat it's a jack of all trades, master of none. I know and have spoken with one of the primary testers of the prototype heads, and he has a fleet of machines with FD70s. When I asked him if he would be trading to match his Case equipment he said no way....because it has no float frame.
Correct me if wrong but is that not how the 640d Deere works and why they take some fine tuning with balance, accumulator pressures and calibrations to get them to work well at speed?

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Not sure I understand your question. The 640d has a float frame that replaces the MD springs. The new case mounts directly and ridgedly to the feederhouse. As far as fine tuning a Deere never mess with one thing other than a single setting In the cab. Works wonderful. Now a MD with all the springs...now THAT takes fine tuning. I run both so I know the new case suffers the same fate as the FD from Deere great on the ground but no float frame sucks off the ground. Guess it all depends on how you harvest
I get what you mean now buy floating frame. 640d floats so far on the hydraulics and the feeder house hight and counter master adjust to help. If you push that handle forward harder and try to cut what at 6 to 10" of ground you will soon know the the 640d works much nicer with fine tuning. Also replace gauge wheel arm bushes every year helps.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
The 3162 and 3152 do have guide wheels in rigid mode, at least on the wider models. They are adjusted with a mechanical slider similar to MacDon or Honeybee, and contain a shock absorber. I don't know how it all integrates sensor-wise. Has six ground-contacting sensors across the header like other brands including Deere. Would have to see a demo in both modes to really get a feel for how it compares to the MacDon.

I agree with you completely that MacDon's suspension on the adapter is really nice to have. I currently don't wish to replace our FD70 with a 3162. But in the future when it's worn out, I sure will give the 3162 a good try. The Hutterites are going to be running 45-footer 3152s in dryland this year. So we'll hear lots about how well they work in just a couple of months. They have used just about all the headers out there over the years.

I used a 640D in wheat a couple of years back without contour-master and I didn't like it at all. Slow to react, over-reacting, etc, especially on the feeder auto height. It was a 35-foot. I don't think it had guide wheels.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
I wonder if the crop has a hard time flowing over that flat area behind the knife? Of course it would be the poor crop that would likely have the most issues but it could be a factor in all crop. Seems like a bigger transition than a FD75. I am looking to do Soybeans/Peas/Wheat.

Transport would be very nice.:)

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
The knife drive area is no wider than the area on MacDon's headers behind the knife in front of the center canvas. In fact it might even be a bit narrower. So no I don't think it's a problem. Louis said it did a fantastic job in very short soybeans. I've never had any problems getting material over the knife on our MacDons in rigid or flex, even in thin crops. The reel can be brought back aft and just nicely miss the knife while bringing things up onto the canvases. While it is possible to cut fingers off on the 3162, Louis said if you set the reel so the fingers just barely miss the raised metal area behind the knife, it works pretty well and you won't cut off fingers but should still be able to sweep the knife clean, even with a bit of flex.

Would really be interested to see the 3162 side by side with the FD70 or FD75 in rigid mode and flex mode.

One last interesting thing Louis mentioned is that the 3152 and 3162 can be made to fit on other brands of combines. Not sure how this is done, and he didn't know either. But in theory they designed it to work on other brands, provided of course the feeder plate has lateral tilt, but all brands have that now. I presume that part of the frame would be changed out. Maybe Case will never go there, though. I can't think of any good reason for them to do this.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
Would really be interested to see the 3162 side by side with the FD70 or FD75 in rigid mode and flex mode.
Would be nice to hear from someone who isn't a MacDon homey(seems to be quite a few on here) but has run both of these heads like you mentioned. I really know nothing about straight heads but need to figure it out for next year as the canola acres are going to seriously migrate into soybeans.;)

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Well a 640D is 40 feet, so you must have a 635D. And if it didn't have gauge wheels then you got a terrible demo....the wheel cylinders are paired to the frame cylinders and have additional sensors. If you don't have lateral tilt then that's a huge strike agains you. Besides, you probably ran a head a few years back without dual zone float, side slope kit and was 10 software revisions back now form the height control software. They actually work quit good now. And as far as needing "tuning" to work......I've drive 5+ mph all the time and never make an adjustment...it just works. You can't say that about a FD70. We run the two models side by side, so I'm pretty familiar with them.

You do know that 5mph is slow? Most of our work with 640d is over 16km hr. Auto steer don't work over 22km hr, 17 to 18km hr is nice. That is were a well set up 640d is a must, dose not have all day to adjust to changes. 5mph would get boarding real quick.

·
Super Moderator
5,245 Posts
Adjust?

5mph would get boarding real quick.
Not when that's more crop than engine power limit on a 780 Claas with a draper or pickup "front".;):)
They must have different gears for a 780 in Australia, a NA unit can only go about 15 harvesting.
Found that out with a stripper header.

What is this adjusting it all day thing?:confused:
Other than on the go from the cab fine tuning I NEVER adjust my MacDon FD70.
NEVER!
Coil springs float far more stiction free than any hydraulic setup could ever hope to, hydraulics should never be called floating, only controlling.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
You do know that 5mph is slow? Most of our work with 640d is over 16km hr. Auto steer don't work over 22km hr, 17 to 18km hr is nice. That is were a well set up 640d is a must, dose not have all day to adjust to changes. 5mph would get boarding real quick.
Wow you guys sure operate at much higher speeds down there than we do up here.

3-5 mph is average in my area, no matter what size combine you have. Going your speeds would scare me hitting rocks and such.

·
Registered
5,729 Posts
Well a 640D is 40 feet, so you must have a 635D. And if it didn't have gauge wheels then you got a terrible demo....the wheel cylinders are paired to the frame cylinders and have additional sensors. If you don't have lateral tilt then that's a huge strike agains you. Besides, you probably ran a head a few years back without dual zone float, side slope kit and was 10 software revisions back now form the height control software. They actually work quit good now. And as far as needing "tuning" to work......I've drive 5+ mph all the time and never make an adjustment...it just works. You can't say that about a FD70. We run the two models side by side, so I'm pretty familiar with them.
Yes, it was a 635. Had lateral tilt I think. But yes it was many software revisions ago, and like I said it did not have contour master so things were a bit more passive. Also the drapers would tend to windrow out the back of the header where the draper wrapped around, in some conditions. Tried adjusting canvas speeds but never did solve that.

Anyway, yes I do make a few adjustments to flotation on the MacDon, depending on conditions. Generally-speaking, in rigid mode I do nothing to it, though, and it works. As someone said, yes there are a lot of us that really like MacDon. They are great headers. Somehow the geometry they've come up with just works so well in so many conditions and crops. I would never trade mine off just because I want something newer and better. But if I had a combine with the 3162 I think it'd work fine too.

This was developed just like the Deere with one major purpose....cut (soy)beans. It works in small grains, but not like a dedicated rigid draper header.
Except that the rigid and flex versions of Case's header are identical except the knife mount. When locked up they are functionally identical. So if the 3162 sucks in rigid mode, then the 3152 will also.

·
Premium Member
3,452 Posts
Not when that's more crop than engine power limit on a 780 Claas with a draper or pickup "front".;):)
They must have different gears for a 780 in Australia, a NA unit can only go about 15 harvesting.
Found that out with a stripper header.

What is this adjusting it all day thing?:confused:
I never had to much trouble with our old macdon ridged fronts, easy enough to adjust the springs ever few years.

That 15km or mile? If its km deere reworked a lot of s series with the 3speed to a high speed second gear. 14km was a bit steady.

Madsnake

·
Registered
5 Posts
Case flex draper

We just sent the new case draper back to the dealer after less than 100 hours of use and got our fd 70 back. The header was on a new 9230 we had just gotten and we had multiple problems with it, including how it feed into the feeder house. We had to remove lighting from the auger on the header because of the amount of material that was going into the theater house and traveling back around the theater house chain. Yesterday the reel fell apart on the in that causes the fingers to flip as they around. Although the header seems to be okay other than that you don't really need to fix something that already works well.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
We just sent the new case draper back to the dealer after less than 100 hours of use and got our fd 70 back. The header was on a new 9230 we had just gotten and we had multiple problems with it, including how it feed into the feeder house. We had to remove lighting from the auger on the header because of the amount of material that was going into the theater house and traveling back around the theater house chain. Yesterday the reel fell apart on the in that causes the fingers to flip as they around. Although the header seems to be okay other than that you don't really need to fix something that already works well.
If it was back-feeding on feeder chain is that really the fault of the header? What were you harvesting? Any issues between the knife and canvas in short crop?

Thanks for your input here.:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry

Sorry about the grammar issues in the previous post, it is never good to try to post things and work at the same time. In all honesty though the case ih header leaves a lot to be desired in rigid mode so far, we did not try it in beans and probably never will.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The auger on the header adapter had flighting extensions on it. These extensions were causing it to pull the crop (wheat and barley) off of the canvas faster and shove it all to the center of the feeder house chain. Once we removed that flighting it feed much better. Case guys are working on it today fixing an issues with the reel where the finger guides broke out of the orbital track on the end of the reel. We are running two MDs today and seem to be covering a lot more ground. The Macs do look like adjust to the ground quicker.

·
Premium Member
8,226 Posts
Keep us updated please if you get the 3162 back in the field.

There must be other guys using these in wheat right now???

In farmerjones picture those "deflectors" under the feed auger look like they would be a serious restriction for crop flow. Are they necessary, can they be removed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Keep us updated please if you get the 3162 back in the field.

There must be other guys using these in wheat right now???

In farmerjones picture those "deflectors" under the feed auger look like they would be a serious restriction for crop flow. Are they necessary, can they be removed?
We have about 400 acres of wheat left and the parts for the reel on the 3162 are not gonna get here in time. I am not sure of those plates can be removed. I think that our time with that header is probably finished. I am sure that the case dealer is going to want us to keep trying but I'm not sure that's going to happen.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.