The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, my brother is looking at buying a 1995 Freightliner with a 3176 CAT with 680,000 miles. The dealer wants $9,500 with a new DOT. Is this a good deal and how are these motors? I've heard the ones with the aluminum spacer between the block and head is trouble. We honestly haven't looked if it has the aluminum? or did they change it to cast iron or just got rid of that spacer? If anyone can tell me to run, I would greatly appreciate it or if you think it would be a good truck, let me know. We are planning to only haul between 30 and 40 miles away from home. So probably never more than 100 mile round trip. We took the truck for a test drive and everything seem to work fine and motor sounded good. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Axialflow1688

·
Registered
40 Posts
The tech center where I took my diesel classes had one for us to play with...every year we put injectors in it.... it didnt even go over the road just shop to parking lot..... all sorts of electical problems... might have been just that one though.... enough to keep me away from one... id stick with a cummins honestly

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does the 3176 a have a mechanical fuel pump or is it electrical? I honestly don't know anything about this motor. CAT would be a new type of engine on our farm because everything else we have got Cummins. Our two older semis have 855s and our Case stuff has the 8.3s. We aren't having much luck finding anything else good without paying through the roof.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
Does the 3176 a have a mechanical fuel pump or is it electrical? I honestly don't know anything about this motor. CAT would be a new type of engine on our farm because everything else we have got Cummins. Our two older semis have 855s and our Case stuff has the 8.3s. We aren't having much luck finding anything else good without paying through the roof.
We had a a 3176 in our freight liner tandem. I thought it was a very reliable engine for us only had one issue and that was the Head had to be redone. The truck was at the grain cleaners and when I brought it home it had a miss we blamed this problem on too much idle at low rpms.
Also correct me if I am wrong but the 3176 is the same as a 3306. 3306 is mechanical 3176 is not

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.