The Combine Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am completely new at using my N5 in beans and I keep having issues with my 320 header plugging up, it plugs up the auger right were it feeds it in to the feeder house. However the feeder house it self never plugs just the grain head. Any ideas on what settings or adjustments i need to do to eliminate this issue? Sorry for the ignorance but I have only ran corn with this N5 and before that I have only been around IH's and Deere's all which has only been in corn. Thanks!

·
Registered
549 Posts
There ought to be a slip/friction clutch on the auger and a lot of times they need to be tightened. Check that first. What kind of shape are the auger feeder fingers in? Any missing?Could the auger flighting be worn so it won't pull the material through.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I had trouble with beans feeding on a 500 series header this year, they would bunch up and travel to center of auger in clumps then plug auger. I did two things to the header. First, was to grind a sharp square edge on the flighting with an angle grinder. Take the chain off the end of aguer so you can rotate it easily. Second thing I did was replace the two friction plates even though they had good thickness, mine were badly glazed. Not sure which made the biggest help but beans fed evenly and haven't plugged it again.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I had a 320flex many moons ago on an R-50 with teeny tiny rear steering tires, that fed poorly from the sickle to the auger and then in bunches, constantly plugging auger and throat. I talked to John Keller from the Combine Division and he told me to raise up the auger to 3/4" to 1" above the header floor AND move the auger forward as far as it can go in the adjustment slots. This requires adding 2 or 3 extra half-links to the auger drive chain. I know the theory is completely bass-ackwards from the norm, but it really works. Ever since that day, any Gleaner flex head that was dedicated to soybeans got this adjustment set to full forward and up before it ever left the Shop. This will not work in wheat or oats. Also, it sounds like your auger slip clutch is burned up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The header augur seems in good shape to me fingers are all there, and yes it seems to be bunching up at the sickle and then big clumps goes to the center and clogs it up. I will try to set the auger up and forward and tighten the slip clutch first and go from there Thanks for all the help

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
300 can be tough with short crops due to cutterbar distance to auger. Make sure header is level to ground if one side or the other is the problem. If whole distance is problem and air reel is no option you can fasten 3" OD flex pipe just behind sickle and add some rubber paddles to reel. Some talk about feather sheets and strap holding down rear of feather strip can be found in recent posts.

·
Registered
407 Posts
There is no tightening of the slip clutch. If you look in the owners manual to the header, it is an assembled unit already set to a certain breakaway torque setting. Unless the three main bolts are actually loose (they need to be TIGHT), the friction discs and center sprocket bushing are worn out. I'm not saying you maybe can't jury-rig it to not slip with the addition of more washers or some way to put more spring pressure on it....... also the reel needs to be as far back as possible (to the point of rubbing the auger) and down as far as possible for better feeding in short beans. Change the auger forward/up first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just want to say thanks for all the advice after setting the auger in and rising it and setting the reel in closer all went well and I was able to get my beans in before it sets in raining/snowing again, thanks again!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I had a 320flex many moons ago on an R-50 with teeny tiny rear steering tires, that fed poorly from the sickle to the auger and then in bunches, constantly plugging auger and throat. I talked to John Keller from the Combine Division and he told me to raise up the auger to 3/4" to 1" above the header floor AND move the auger forward as far as it can go in the adjustment slots. This requires adding 2 or 3 extra half-links to the auger drive chain. I know the theory is completely bass-ackwards from the norm, but it really works. Ever since that day, any Gleaner flex head that was dedicated to soybeans got this adjustment set to full forward and up before it ever left the Shop. This will not work in wheat or oats. Also, it sounds like your auger slip clutch is burned up.
Can this be done on a 520 head also or anything else that would help feeding?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.