The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everybody... we just bought a TR 96 at a auction yesterday and I was wondering how they were on fuel? I know the cat engines were hogs but I had heard they were better than the natural aspirated 3208?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Overall its been a great combine. I think the worst job is to change oil, the filters are a pita to change & to adjust the elevator chains. It says in a PAMI report that it uses 36.4 L/h of diesel. When combining plump barley I've had to take some wires out of the back part of the concave & concave modules. I would also recommend to install the rear beater grate covers in canola so you don't overload the sieves. I personally leave them in all the time, an instructor at Olds College told me that he worked with NH back in the 70's and seen a proto type TR 70 with no rear beater installed in it. Apparently the back end of it was all banged up because the corn stalks were coming off the end of the rotors so fast it caused too much damage so NH added a rear beater to slow the material down before discharge. (Not for one last chance to save grain , like they want you to believe).

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did all the 3208s that came on the tr 96 have no muffler? I hate the sound of the straight pipe... kinda annoying if you ask me... but it still combines so what the heck!!

·
Registered
61 Posts
we had four tr95's over the years with the cats. they start great and are ok on fuel. watch your oil pressure. we put mechanical guages in ours. when your oil pressure starts to drop she will be a ticking time bomb. they will spit a rod out the side of the block really fast. we are running tr 96's now with the ford motors. i think they are a bit harder on fuel than the cat.

·
Registered
61 Posts
not sure why the oil pressure drops. but i have had a few of these engines throw rods out through the side of the block. the turboed engines seem to be much worse for blowing up. to much power i guess. we ran 2 tr 85's up into the 7000 hour ranges with no problems but the turdoed ones not so good.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
They do start easy I will say that... this turbo starts nice... the natural 3208 in our 1500 starts easy to but smokes like crazy for 3 minutes. Why should the oil pressure drop?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Oil pressure drops when the bearings/crank wear. All v8s turn higher rpms causing earlier bearing failure, plus the rod bearings have less surface area. A bearing roll is a good idea. Although never heard of a turbo blowing up.

·
Registered
14 Posts
hey TK I noticed you have a 1500 cat ,not many around anymore I have one but I just sold the motor out of it this summer. that was a good combine for me if you are close I have a lot of parts for very cheap and a lot of experience e-mail me thanks Weldfixer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.