The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there new to the group, have read forums for yearslooking for some help and advice on a 3320 (10” spacing with mrb coulters)

have Had the drill for 4 years and this is the first year seeing this problem.
Anywhere where I am turning I am seeing a couple of shanks where the seed is sitting in moisture, some is doughy with no root or shoot and some has a shoot but no root. 90% sure it is fert burn as anywhere the drill is travelling straight the crop and germ are excellent.

new mrb disks were installed this year and depth was set to 2-2.5”

I am thinking that the fert isn’t finding the bottom of the trench in the corners?? Any help is appreciated!!
Plant Plant community People in nature Tree Agriculture

Plant Grass Agriculture Terrestrial plant Groundcover

Hand Insect Arthropod Organism Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
947 Posts
I find that some seed shanks and mrb’s run closer to each other. U bolts moved or wear in the bushings and being closer might make them run over top of each other. The fact that it is only a few rows makes me think it is a spacing issue.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
How wet was that ground when you seeded it? Sure doesn’t look like openers where cutting clean seed trench’s. Never seen burn with MRBs But I do know you have to watch tip wear on Bourgault. For us they wear the bottoms off and carbide doesn’t show a lot of wear sometimes.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
I’m sceptical that is a fertilizer proximity issue as well. I’ve planted a lot of crop with 3720 and 1895 disc drills and I don’t think I ever saw a mid row band kill a row of seeds on a bend. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
947 Posts
Closer inspection it is affecting 2 rows that are side by side. MRB toxicity should only effect the 1 seed row.

Maybe those shanks are running deeper or shallower, following the tractor or pressed down by the air tank.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
If your MRB’s have cleaner tines and some get worn to a couple of inches inside the outer edge of the disc they can pull up a lumpy mess that sticks to the disc in sticky soil that makes a big furrow and poor seed bed behind it.

2 1/2 inches is deep enough to start triggering that problem of soil stuck around the circumference of the bander disc. At 2 inches or less even worn cleaner tines seem to work or cleaner wheels spaced too far from the disc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If your MRB’s have cleaner tines and some get worn to a couple of inches inside the outer edge of the disc they can pull up a lumpy mess that sticks to the disc in sticky soil that makes a big furrow and poor seed bed behind it.

2 1/2 inches is deep enough to start triggering that problem of soil stuck around the circumference of the bander disc. At 2 inches or less even worn cleaner tines seem to work or cleaner wheels spaced too far from the disc.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Closer tines are worn inside of the disk. Your thinking that the wet dirt was sticking to the disk and bringing some of the fertilizer up and out of the trench?
There will be some fertilizer being pulled up perhaps. I was meaning that a dirty bander disc will pull out big chunks of saturated soil In some conditions and when you are turning a seed shank may then be dropping seeds into that open rough furrow.

With the 3720 disc drill I can see when there is soil rotating on the disc in the previous pass because it will leave a continuous black steak in the field finish that the disk openers following up with the seed don’t erase. Sometimes the cleaner tine is no longer tensioned to lightly rub the disc and sometimes the tine is just too short. They’re actually about 2 inches past the edge of the disc when they’re new.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Cloud Sky Vehicle Plant Ecoregion
Just be happy with the drill - that’s the Cadillac of the industry , there’s a boat load of fert here too in the seed row ..

my guess is you had a dirty bander improper adjustment on closing tine or scraper .. there’s no was you could skew over 5inches to get into hot band - unless your drill has 200,000 acres on it lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts