The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This question is probably floating around in here somewhere...but...I've got a 7010 coming by the first of June with a 3408 corn head coming hopefully by corn harvest. Is an 8 row head "under-kill"? I'm not really interested in riding across the field 7 mph nor am I worried about matching planter rows...but I do have the option to change it to a 12 row, but would like to stay with 8 right now. Any experience with an eight row head matched to this machine?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can work with any planter/cornhead row difference. This is my first CaseIH combine.....but from what I understand the previous series was a off shoot of a New Holland....new series is supposed to remedy some problems...but please don't ask me....I don't have any experience with either one. Stepping out on "faith" big time taking in consideration that I haven't seen or used the upcoming 3400 series.

I guess I'm concerned about capacity. I sort of figure the 7010 is mated perfectly to the 12 row head, just wondering it an 8 row head will (with a normal crop) keep the combine reasonably full without running like a scared "deere" down the row at an unreasonable speed.

·
Registered
929 Posts
What type of conditions are you going to be running in? From my experience last fall I would say < 200bpa, and < 18% M you'll be driving as fast as you can with an 8 row head.

Overall I would say its a very large 8 row machine or a nice sized 12 row machine. Haven't run one with a 12 row head but I would say for the most part we ran 5.5mph in a 200bpa ave crop with our 8 row. Could have gone faster if we needed to. Could easily run 7mph+ in some crappy 170bpa 16% M corn... but that is to fast for me in rolling hills. I would guess you would be running 3.5-4.5mph most of the time with a 12row.

If its not an issue to go to 12 row... thats what I would prefer. But you aren't going to feel too undersized with an 8 row head in 200+ bpa corn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts