The Combine Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trading our 9660 on a 70 series and the dealer has more 96's than 97's. I've never really had horsepower issues with the 9660 and a 630 hydroflex, but I'm thinking about a 35 ft. I have a few small fields and a few terraces, but I'm planting with a 40ft. planter, so i figure I could stand a 35ft. header.

I do run a chopper, and the dealer says he has one guy running the combo that said he has had to slow down a couple of tenths.

Any experience with this combination?? or anything I should think about? Thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Amusing. Back in the old days, we ran a 20-foot flex on a 95 diesel, and could run 3.5 mph or a little better in 50-bushel beans, with no walker or shoe loss, putting all that through a 40-inch cylinder driven by an engine that might have had 100 hp on a cool fall day.

·
Premium Member
4,295 Posts
What crops are you in? As far as straw distribution the new tailboard(non-powered) can spread 35ft or darn near close to it. But be warned that the new 70 series chopper does take up some power, so if you were hoping that the larger hp in the 70 series vs the 60 would handle the bigger head better, don't count on it.

Personally I would still go with a 35ft, you will get more done by increasing header and decreasing speed, providing your small fields aren't so small that you will have trouble keeping it full.

·
Registered
566 Posts
My cousin has a 9660 and 635 and says it works pretty good and he's got alot of terraces and big hills to run up and down. I would get the power tail board that way you will get an even distribution of residue and save some pony's because you don't have to put it on the high speed side for beans. Plus when you trade the next time you sould be able to keep it and put on the next machine.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
We have a guy who runs 9670sts with a 635F and hasn't had any issues with the two except the changing of the knife to the old 3" cut instead of the new 4" but that's a no-till issue alltogether.

·
Registered
632 Posts
This year we ran a 635 Hydraflex on a 9650STS w/contour master and it worked great. In soybeans that header will shave the bottom of the terrace "bowls" closer than our 930F did. Very satisfied.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
The only thing I caution guys is, if you're notilling beans behind corn and are having trouble cutting the stalks off with a 600F with the 4" dura-twin cutter sickle, look at the 3" cut sickle used on the 900F platforms. There's a DTAC case available but since Deere would rather you have to go the dealer to get the same information just ask for this information. It makes a world of difference and makes the no-till stalks a little easier to manage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts