The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any body out there had any experience with a 36 ft macdon or other on an 8820 t2? Currently run 30 ft rigid upped acres and looking for slight increase in productivity.

·
Registered
342 Posts
This year I ran a JD 936D on our 1982 8820. Made a new combine out of it compared to the old 230 header. The JD was the heaviest on the market and the 8820 handled it great on flat ground but could have used some more hp in the hills. The lighter Macdon or HB should work great on a 8820.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I talked to a gentleman south of Jamestown last year who was running a 36ft Macdon on an 88820TII and he said it made that machine shine, and that he'd never go back to an auger head. I know he added an extension to his unloading auger. I agree with JD95guy, while I've never run an 8820 with a draper, I believe it would work great.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How did the machine handle heavy crops, we currently straight cut wheat barley and some fall rye(5 feet of straw) have high inertia cylinder in the old girl so im hoping she should handle it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I ran a 1988 Titan11 8820 for 5 years with a 36' McDon. The draper made this combine shine. You never heard any grunting off the cylinder, the motor would just start slowing down, giving you time to pull back. Just a nice even flow to the cylinder. Cut a lot of heavy crops in some nasty conditions up here in Canada, and had no problems with the header. Had the 20 ft. unload auger....no extensions, so its tricky if you want to unload on the fly. As for heavy 5' rye, you just pull out a bit and take in less if any problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
In our case, we just had the standard chopper....and harrowed out the straw in fields that didn't get spread properly. We went to "0" till in the late 90's, and used the heavy harrows after harvesting with 9600's. The last few years, we hire out our harvest, and have had the newest STS's harvest the crop, and in most places we don't have to harrow, since there is not a heck of a lot of material left after they go through. We still use the heavy harrow to touch up spots were the straw might have been tough.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
what kind of capacity did you get out of the 88 with the draper in 50-60 bu wheat. Have heard that is much the same as 30 ft auger headers.

·
Registered
148 Posts
[quote author=8820beast board=JD thread=10441 post=83406 time=1229287998]what kind of capacity did you get out of the 88 with the draper in 50-60 bu wheat. Have heard that is much the same as 30 ft auger headers.
[/quote

On the average, you'd get a few percent more capacity with the draper overall....but when you get into tough conditions, such as in the evening....the draper worked better...as were we used to plug the 30ft. rigid a bit more on heavy crop. One of the reasons we had the draper, is because we grew, and still grow field peas. Our ridged at that time could not cut as good in rolling land as the draper, becasue the draper has some tilt at the feederhouse. Our draper was equiped with pickup reels and lifters, and after running that combination, would not have any differant...even for wheat, barley etc. After doing a few fields of lodged crop with the draper and pickup reels with lifters, you'd never go back.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I think a drapper head make a world of difference on any combine just because it feeds so much better. Waiting for deere to get the flexdrapper on the market.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about crop residue out the back end, do you use a redekop style chopper, ours is just standard equipment and sometimes even on 30 ft is not quite adequate

·
Registered
530 Posts
I could see the draper working on an 88 in dry land but if you do good flood wheat youll find the walkers are too short and you need more shoe. Not to mention another 75 HP. I had an 88 turned up to 250 HP and with a 224 rigid in 4 ton grain it had its hands full

1 - 15 of 15 Posts