The Combine Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will a 9650 Walker combine be big enough to handle a 36' Flex Draper??? I will be using this combo on 50 bushel wheat, 25 bushel flax and 35 bushel beans here in North Dakota. Will the combine be capable of lifting the head? This combine has no problem lifting a 930 rigid head with quick tach sunflower pans at idle so I think it will be able to lift it.

I know a 30 foot head would be a better fit but I have a chance to buy a 36 foot 974 Mac don this year and I know we probably only run the 9650 for another year or two then we will move up to a 9760 or 9860. It would be nice to buy the head and wait a few years to upgrade the combine. I know if I go with the bigger head I am going to put in a new set of bars and a beater speed up kit to help increase the capacity a little. Thanks for any info.

·
Registered
778 Posts
I have a customer with a 9600 with a 36' 974 on it. He likes it a lot. You will need to check if you have the heavy duty feeder house lift cylinders. With the standard cylinders It will lift very slow and probably not all the way up. You will want to add some weight to the rear of the combine or it will come up if you pull back on the hydro quickly (Not a good feeling on the road). 4wd helps due to the extra weight of the drive motors. This particular 9600 has a high inertia cylinder, PF beater, prethresher plate, 60% beater speed up kit, Redekop MAV chopper, and a 20% power chip so it is far from stock. It has significant capacity with the 974 and rivals 9750s and 9760s in acres per hour. You can expect similar results from your 9650.

You might also want to add an unload auger extension kit to reach past the extra width. The Lankota kit works nice.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I would think you would be just fine especially if you left a little more stubble while you were cutting wheat. Like GT said though lift cylinders and rear weights would be a big help, it weighs pretty close to a 12 row corn head.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK that sounds good. We have a 9600 also and it lifts our 930 head very slow, our 9650 walker has no problem lifting our 930 head with quick tach sunflower pans even at idle so I must have the heavy duty lift. I am not sure what a 36 foot 974 is going to weigh but I think it will be similar to what our 930 with pans weighs. I think we are going to give it a go....maybe start calling around tomorrow to see what I can find. Thanks.

·
Registered
405 Posts
There were lots of 9600s and 9650s sold in Australia with 36 foot heads and they work fine in most crops, just depends on how heavy the crop is and if you are trying to break any speed records. Most of these machines were 2 wheel drive and they never had any problems carrying the load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts