The Combine Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok now that I have your attention:D. This spring I planted a couple of acres of suppose to be sweet corn...out of 15 people that have tried it said it had 0 flavor would never eat it....thinking the seed supplier may have gave me silage instead of sweet corn? ....so I have decide beings that no one will eat it i will try to do something I always wanted to do..combine some corn.....by the way I planted it with my air drill on 9.8 inch spacing....actually turned out very nice....I have no corn head never have ever even seen one up close....so I tried cutting with my 1010 straight head . It actually worked way better than I thought. I have never seen corn in person harvested I am assuming it was wayyyy to wet yet plants leaves are still plum green. It is supposed to get well below freezing tomorrow so I suppose that will change quickly? So my main ? Is how do you tell when it is ready ? And beings that I am just doing this for fun . Can I get away with small wire conclaves? This is in a 1688 or will I just make mushed corn or kick it all out the back. The little I tried it got of the cob pretty good looked like vast majority went out back if I had to guess on moisture 50 ish....:eek:

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Only a couple acres what the heck does fully dented mean ? Buy looking at them it is like corn on the cob you would eat. 50 percent is just a wild guess maybe I will try to scrap up enough for a real moisture test. Can not remember how many day it was suppose to be...I know it was the shortest I could find...then again it was support to be sweet corn too. I planted it around April 15 din not emerge tell probable June ...

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks ok panhandle. I think the kernels are firming up some . I think I will stuff the combine back in she'd maybe see what happens after freeze . If it does not work out maybe someday I will just have to go south or east and volunteer to run someone else's combine. I do have some large wire concaves I will maybe swap them out if it looks like it will work out .

·
Registered
926 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I looked and it defiantly is dented seems pretty full? Put combine away today and dropped all the oils let it stay dry as it is starting to rain again it is supost to snow tonight we will see. Maybe in a week or two I will get to pull it out and check off harvesting corn on my bucket list

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.