The Combine Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I blew up the engine in my super 1049. I ordered a long block 361 and am in the process of swapping over the tins and intake manifold etc but I think I've got trouble.
First of all the crankshaft snout on the long block has one large key way cut into it but the balancer I took off the grenaded engine has two smaller keyways (180 degrees apart). Are there 2 different balancers available??

Secondly the oil pump drive shaft is too short, it won't engage into the oil pump b/c it's too short (retainer ring on shaft bottoms out b4 it reaches pump, even without the retainer ring I think the shaft is too short). Again is there a longer version of this shaft? Will my distributor not fit as well?

Any info would help me out a lot since I'm not much of a mechanic

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Have you talked to your supplier? We used to switch Ford engines all the time, only got long blocks for the irrigation pumps, otherwise we ran 391s in pickups, combines etc. this was back in the '70s, everything seemed to fit. We threw a 391 and a five speed in the 1049 back then. Your sure you didn't get a 360? I wonder if they were different?

·
Registered
209 Posts
The main differences between the 360/390 and the 361/391 are that the -1s have a steel crank and lower compression.

Without looking it up, I think the crank snout was slightly larger on the -1s, by around .010". If you have a caliper or micrometer you might try measuring the nose of the crank where the dampener is installed to find out if there's a difference between your old and new engines.

Mark

·
Premium Member
1,752 Posts
361 and 391 are FT Blocks apart from a steel crank they also have a 4 bolt main and thicker webs in the block, the crank snouts are bigger they have lower compression but the cam shafts are different (or advanced in timing) they rev to about 3500 RPM and thats it.

360 and 390 are FE blocks They look identical except for the above mentioned internals. I am trying to find a rebuilt 391 to put in my grain truck, but i guess it is getting too old for parts up here.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
If your looking for a used engine look at irrigation pump engines, there were thousands of them around here, problem is they still bring a good dollar but you may find a deal at auction sales. You might find an engine out of an old 1500 New Holland combine at the wreckers.

·
Registered
121 Posts
361 and 391 are FT Blocks apart from a steel crank they also have a 4 bolt main and thicker webs in the block, the crank snouts are bigger they have lower compression but the cam shafts are different (or advanced in timing) they rev to about 3500 RPM and thats it.

360 and 390 are FE blocks They look identical except for the above mentioned internals. I am trying to find a rebuilt 391 to put in my grain truck, but i guess it is getting too old for parts up here.
No four bolt mains on a 361/391. Only 406 & 427 race engines got the crossbolt mains.

Look like the op got a 360 light truck engine not the medium duty 361/391 industrial engine.

Mark

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thx for the replies. I've been digging into the casting #'s on the long block that I bought. Its block casting number is c5ae-a, which when I look it up says its a 1965 block from a pick up truck (352 CID). The toasted engine has a block casting #d4te-1 (reenforced webs). The heads on the long block have 361 casting numbers tho. The crank snout on the grenaded engine is 1.375" and my long block has a 1.75" snout. I think I got a mishmash rebuild, heavy crank in a light duty block. The oil pan is on so I can't check the crank casting number easily. I'm thinking of sending the long block back b/c of these issues. They're supposed to be building me another long block with smaller crank snout but who knows what block I'll be getting. Think I found a rebuild able 391 outta a 1975 f700 for 600 bucks. Do u think that would be a better option or take my chances on the other long block?

As far as the oil pump drive shaft, my bad. I tried installing it from the top down but was told that it needs to be installed into the pump, then bolt the pump to the block. Seems ok now. Any more info/opinions appreciated

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.