The Combine Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Should be ok in a row crop situation. Different story in broad acre with trees to go around and gilgais to go through.
Have done some rows with a 4940 with 36m boom and spent nearly as much time turning as I did spraying. Was on 3m centres but just didn't have enough room to turn around.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Would depend on the country. A lot of the spraying I do is on gilgai country with trees on it. Spend all day on the boom height switches trying to keep the boom height somewhere close to even. In this situation the wider the wheels the better.
My only experience on a SP sprayer on narrower spacing is on a 4630JD with 24m boom and 2m wheel centres. Initially it felt more unstable but for doing rows it is far quicker to turn and more suited than the bigger sprayer with 3m centres.
If you're looking at a machine to do both rows on 2m and broad acre it will work but there will be times you will wish you could widen the wheels or narrow the boom.
That may be possible if the the machine has adjustable wheel centres or the end sections can be folded in or removed.

183 Posts
I would suggest an Aluminum 120 boom, it would reduce the weight and more important it would reduce the unsprung weight hanging out. Aluminum booms because of there lighter weight can go wider before stability issues arise

We sell booms out to 160 feet, and in a lot of cases operators are traveling faster, then they would with much smaller factory steel booms

·
Registered
71 Posts
A bloke here has had 4 of them,all goldacres.1st one was 24m,last 3 all 36m.He does row crop and broadacre.......He keeps buying them so they can`t be too bad.....he`s well known for being `hard` on gear.
Mal.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
What's better then the stability of 3mt centres is 4mt. Love the ride in my 4940 36mt. Spraying all my row crop on 4mt. Turnings not an issue and averaging 80ha/hr if I could keep the water up to it. Could easily spray 400ha at 80lt/ha. So much more productive than my hagie (24mt 3000lt). Go 36mt for sure

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.