The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was wondering how the 3710 ran in the mud this year currently run 74ft 3310 with 6700 and would like to upgrade to sectional control because of our many irregular shaped fields and also thinking about a bigger tank for the efficiency side of getting stuff done. Have looked into disk drills before and ran several in the past like some hated other designs just would like to know how these are in the conditions that are starting the norm here in sw manitoba

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I'll start by giving my first year impression on the opener only.

The disc is large, I have seen no problem with this, at least in the wet mellow conditions experienced.

The seed delivery tube is high over the furrow and quite vertical. This works great in mud, but likely has more seed bounce and air wash than some other brands.

The compound angle on the disc cuts well, surprisingly it seems to leave a less furrowed finish to the field, perhaps this is more to do with the packer as a closer or the position of the gauge wheel.

The gauge wheel, being on a walking beam with the packer, moves slightly in relation to the disc. A good feature for mud.

The gauge wheel is at a cambered angle to the disc rather than on the same plane as the disc. This allows a way for the mud to get out of the wheel.

The gauge wheel is on a simple straight spindle rather than having a crank inside its rim. It would be almost impossible for it to bung up and skid the gauge wheel, especially with a spoked wheel.

The stepped packer wheel closes the furrow consistently down its length as opposed to a bouncing scuffing closer wheel that is angled. It would however require fairly high down pressure on a wet no till clay that was perhaps saline or anaerobic.

The opener assembly as a whole is more open and spread out in its design and shakes off mud and crop residue quite effectively.

It's important to not adjust the scrapers to put pressure on the disc.

Seed brakes may help it in high airflow situations but over all its very impressive and appears to be durable.

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
Was wondering how the 3710 ran in the mud
Can't help you with a 3710/3310 compare, this is my first piece of BG equipment.
I'll establish I was in sticky conditions by telling you I had trouble with two midrow banders, one on each side of the hitch behind the tractor puking the spacers off the cylinder rods with mud, the ones used for depth setting .

Haystack has it pretty much covered and I did run Dutch's version 2.0/2014 large seed brake on all the seed openers and one midrow.
While I have no scientific answer for you the velocity at seed opener is greatly reduced and couldn't help but reduce seed bounce.
While the seed tube is high relative to seed furrow it also doesn't plug and likely allows air escape especially if without seed brakes.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
This is what Don is referring to about the spacer shims on the Midrow Banders that are following directly behind a wheel.

Removing the cylinder pin on the affected ones and turning the cylinder shaft 1/2 turn so the shims go on from the back seems to solve that problem.

·
Super Moderator
5,169 Posts
That's exactly the picture I never took, thanks Haystack.:)
They puke right off eventually.
Only in two spots in my case, right behind the outside caster on the center section.

Oh, oh.
Am I ever dumb.;)
Never thought of 1/2 turning the rod!:eek:

I see you never adjusted from stock setting of the shims either.

·
Registered
6,495 Posts
I never did any work on it other than to adjust the scrapers the way I prefered them. I always work on a disc drill from the top if its at all possible. Sometimes the opener needs to be up other times down, depending on the task. I never had to clean an opener. My pry bar got rusty.

I'm not the owner, but yes it was intended to be replaced by a 70' with the HF system this summer at the time when it was purchased, they just weren't in production yet.

The brakes need to be removed to fit the tracks as well as the bottom step on the ladders. The pallet platform also needs an adapter bracket to slightly raise it and relocate the storage box.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I pulled a 3710 this season and conditions were WET. The drill pulls hard in the wet. I had a lot of problems plugging boots with clay. I farm all heavy clay soils. Clay would stick to the outside of the disk below the scraper and follow it around and into the seed boot and plug it. Tried different scraper heights but it was all the same. Had to seed deep, there is no shallow seeding unless you are willing to accept seed on top of the ground. I like to have all of my seed covered with soil so that forced deeper planting which was into wetter clay. Soybeans and peas were uneven for large seeds were blown at different depths in the furrow. Wheat came up real nice. Blockage monitors are a must on the 3710! Hair pinning in wheat ground was bad, but all residue was wet and soil was wet. I ran a hoe drill before and never plugged seed boots like this year on the 3710

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.