The Combine Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Much improved 3d printer. Does not need an explosion proof building to house it unlike some of the older 3d metal printers. It is still $120,000 but these things get cheaper with time. Combine this with a high quality 3d scanner and parts could get a bit cheaper.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Requiring an always-on internet connection and cloud-based software... not thanks. This unnecessary cloud stuff is becoming a real scourge. Of course if they require using the cloud then they can ensure that everyone's intellectual property rights are respected!

But cool technology.

As a side note, my el cheapo $300 Ender3 that prints only plastic can achieve the temperatures that this metal printer uses. Probably only a matter of time until cheap printers can deposit the metal powder in this fashion also.

If you're curious at all about 3D printing and want to try the plastic kind, go get yourself a $300 Creality Ender3 right now. It's a fantastic little printer. Absolutely the best deal out there for getting your feet wet. Then go nuts on thingiverse, or learn Fusion 360 and start having fun. I just made a special pipe fitting adapter the other day that adapts a 3/4" BSPP female thread (o-ring sealed) to a male NPT thread. Printed the threads right into it and everything.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Requiring an always-on internet connection and cloud-based software... not thanks. This unnecessary cloud stuff is becoming a real scourge. Of course if they require using the cloud then they can ensure that everyone's intellectual property rights are respected!

But cool technology.
they wouldnt want to lose their control now would they

https://www.wired.com/2012/10/3d-gun-blocked/

The world's first 3D printed metal gun is a beautiful .45 caliber M1911 pistol - ExtremeTech

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
To be fair, the guy leased the 3d metal printer, so it wasn't his. I'm sure the terms of the lease include some restrictions on use. If he had bought it outright and then they still came and repossessed it, that would be where the legal fun starts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts