The Combine Forum banner

61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
I haven't desiccated it for a couple years now. When I did I went just straight ghlyphosate. As long as the field is ripening even I wouldn't bother with it. I take it off right when it's 10%. Other than just trying it there's really no way to know if it's ready. Green count has been 0 since I started straight cutting it.

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
Jason I would defiantly spray it with roundup. It will bring it in a couple weeks faster and more uniform. The stems will be drier and easier to combine. We have done it without sraying once and will never do it again. Without spraying it had to stand and shell out 3-4 weeks longer before we could force it through our combine.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Since we got all the straight cutting fans looking at this thread I'll ask a question. When do you know if it's ready to combine? (Other than the obvious taking a sample). Is a desiccant absolutely necessary? Would you spray strictly glyphosate or tank mix in something like Heat? Gonna try a few qtrs straight cut this year, if it works well I'll do a lot more.
Jason, canola is the easiest crop to hand check, strip some pods off a plant and hand thresh them, give them the teeth test.

I not a big fan of desiccation, if it happens to stand longer then just enough to dry I think it shatters worse than oh natural, so I just apply patience.
Which causes less shatter and no tracking.
Not something there is a an abundant supply of around this forum however I note.

If I did I'd likely try Heat/gly blend.
Doing all the peas and wheat that way this year.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
We had previously FD75s with cross augers and they worked great just had to make sure your drum had the extra 10 teeth or what ever the amount was you could put in, also loosening off the spring tension for the center drum made a huge difference.
The shop setting up my header asked if I wanted the springs backed off, couldn't figure out why but let them go ahead.
Haven't done canola yet but it sure seemed to feed smooth in peas!:)

In a wide feeder Claas we put all teeth in as well.

A direct harvestable crop is much easier to divide, no powered dividing required.

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
We have the double draper drive & would never think of ordering anything else, even the d drive can stall in the worst conditions. Our neighbour had a 40ft with only single drive their hired man didn't like it, if the canola stalled on the header it wouldn't clear even if you backed up or lifted the header. Nobody wants to get out and pulled it off by hand. In 2014 Macdon came out with a new drive roller which they claim eliminates the need for double draper drive. I heard one rep claim that it was actually better than double d, which I think it total BS, you can't cut the drive power in half and get the same performance, suggesting it just shows inexperience IMO. My local dealer has some new 40fts in stock, they all have double drive.
The new roller drives better without being overtight and there has been gains in draper coatings as well.

The new units equipped with double draper drive will work fine but no better and in some cases marginally worse, it's just wasted money and parts.
Now I am not so sure about this? After 2 nights of fighting with stalling canvasses I would have gladly ordered the double roller drive if I could have turned back time.

It seems that when swathing canola in the rain wet goop gets inside the canvas and coats the rollers, rendering their fancy carbide grippy things totally ineffective.:frown: Only solution is to remove the canvas and wash the whole thing off. Not fun by yourself at 3:00AM when you have over a thousand acres waiting on you...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,294 Posts
Mine can get some goop under the canvas but we loosen the canvas and pull it out by hand. Only takes 15min. Only ever notice because the canvas gets a bump. Sorry macdon one motor will not replace two, sounds like cost cutting!

·
Registered
717 Posts
Since we got all the straight cutting fans looking at this thread I'll ask a question. When do you know if it's ready to combine? (Other than the obvious taking a sample). Is a desiccant absolutely necessary? Would you spray strictly glyphosate or tank mix in something like Heat? Gonna try a few qtrs straight cut this year, if it works well I'll do a lot more.
I have straight combined canola for 10+ years and never desiccated any of it. We just pick and choose our fields that we wanna go straight. Have had very good results over the years.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Watching guys here trying out straight cutting canola. Most are using 630D and 635D headers and are traveling slow. Mind you, for a lot of these guys, it is their first try at it so they are being cautious while learning the ins and outs of straight cutting. As for the 35 and 40 foot swaths,....I still cut 25 but will be upgrading to 30 feet for next year.

IMG_20150906_191646.jpg

IMG_20150908_161436.jpg

IMG_20150908_153630.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
Now I am not so sure about this?
Not now.

You hit me on the wrong night, I chased swaths today, not my field, what an absolute PITA that is!
Drive where most of it is, plug pickup on edges, back up, maybe plug auger and/or feeder on large wad, repeat a 1000 ******* times!!!!!
What a waste of a 600,000$ combine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Night.:)

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
not reading the swath 2 well don lol how are the others doing
Others?
Oh, you mean other machines?
Funny thing about that, this field very wind blown but the NW/SE swaths were generally ok , although the odd one was end rolled and occasionally mid swath:eek:.
This was a very muddy field, especially on the outside three rounds which is how wide the headland was. Also the most blown of course!
My combine is the only one with tracks.
Are you getting the image here? Yep, Don and his floating 780TT gets all the ****!

·
Registered
405 Posts
Now I am not so sure about this? After 2 nights of fighting with stalling canvasses I would have gladly ordered the double roller drive if I could have turned back time.

It seems that when swathing canola in the rain wet goop gets inside the canvas and coats the rollers, rendering their fancy carbide grippy things totally ineffective.:frown: Only solution is to remove the canvas and wash the whole thing off. Not fun by yourself at 3:00AM when you have over a thousand acres waiting on you...
Check the clearance between the draper and the metal edge it runs under. The draper should be just touching the edge. It doesn't eliminate the goop but it will make a big difference.
Also echo what Jason said. Just loosen the draper tension and pull out the draper enough to get in there and dig the crap out by hand, 10 minute dirty job.:54:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Not now.

You hit me on the wrong night, I chased swaths today, not my field, what an absolute PITA that is!
Drive where most of it is, plug pickup on edges, back up, maybe plug auger and/or feeder on large wad, repeat a 1000 ******* times!!!!!
What a waste of a 600,000$ combine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Night.:)
LOL, Don...actually that's not that funny. We switched to 100% straight cutting for that reason. We do desiccate all our canola tried Roundup and Roundup + heat. With heat it was ready to combine in about 11 days. The other thing I like about straight cutting is the canola never gets really dry we combined 1300ac this year in that 9-11% moisture range. Yes the speed we go at is slower but we are cutting 40' vs. 30' swaths we used to pick up same ac/hr though. and the sample....the sample is unbelievably clean and jet black, no red kernels. I'm not sure if I had the patience you have for waiting on natural dry down. Our swather is for sale. So are our pickup heads.

·
Super Moderator
2,507 Posts
LOL, Don...actually that's not that funny. We switched to 100% straight cutting for that reason. We do desiccate all our canola tried Roundup and Roundup + heat. With heat it was ready to combine in about 11 days. The other thing I like about straight cutting is the canola never gets really dry we combined 1300ac this year in that 9-11% moisture range. Yes the speed we go at is slower but we are cutting 40' vs. 30' swaths we used to pick up same ac/hr though. and the sample....the sample is unbelievably clean and jet black, no red kernels. I'm not sure if I had the patience you have for waiting on natural dry down. Our swather is for sale. So are our pickup heads.
You're right it's not that funny.

You wheel spray or fly?

A software update came up in the last week gm, makes CP even crispier!:54:
They did in while they put on the new alternator/dust suction kit, all 2014 and older 780's get it.

I agree with you across the board, but as I know you know CEMOS Automatic is outstanding in canola anyway, what a treat to never wonder/worry about losses or job quality!!

·
Premium Member
7,948 Posts
I was not needing a response. Just wanted to advise on this topic that double drive may be worth it for these type of conditions.

Check the clearance between the draper and the metal edge it runs under. The draper should be just touching the edge. It doesn't eliminate the goop but it will make a big difference.
Also echo what Jason said. Just loosen the draper tension and pull out the draper enough to get in there and dig the crap out by hand, 10 minute dirty job.:54:
Which edge? Mine has them front and rear, which makes the canvas really hard to get inside of.....unless you are a canola seed! Are you guys loosening it a lot and reaching in outside the outer curve of the rollers, if you get my drift?

Our swather is for sale. So are our pickup heads.
Not growing PRG anymore?

·
Premium Member
5,176 Posts
You have to lossen or back off the tensioner right off and push the tensioner or tensioner nut with your foot toward the center. You then have to use a screw driver or flat bar to pry the front of the canvas out of the front lip. Once you get a little bit out it will be easy to get the rest out. If you have to do it a lot just put a 15/16 socket on a cordless impact. It is easier to get the canvas back in under the c channel than it is to get it out. I would not pull the canvases apart. It is way too much work.

61 - 79 of 79 Posts