The Combine Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats everyones thought on buying a 40ft Macdon FD75 with a single knife, bad idea or do they work good?

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
A single knife does not cut as fast as a double knife. Depending on the size of your combine if you want to travel fast you may want a double knife.

·
Premium Member
5,441 Posts
On our 40ft FD 70s we have only ever had the double knife drive. They have worked very well for us. With our Lexion combines sometimes we travel fairly fast if the crop is poor. We appreciate being able to cut at a faster speed with the double knife drive. I can not comment on the single knife 40 ft because we have never had one. Certainly there will be more stress on everything because the knife is twice as long.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Our MacDon FD75's 40 ft have a double knife, works really well. Our previous headers were 36 feet single knife drive, we never had an issue with it breaking and stuff like that. Our neighbor has a single drive on a 2152 40 ft with a single drive (I believe the 2152 is a FD70). He said it works fine.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Only one year with a single 40' Macdon and it never broke or stalled but only cut cereals. I think it depends a lot on what crops you plan on harvesting.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
I had a Macdon D50 35' with single knife for 6 years and it worked fine on cereals. If the crop was lodged bad I always swathed it. I did stall it a couple of times when it got real tough at night but I never broke it. When it stalled it was time to quit anyway. I wanted to have a spare knife and to get it in one piece the dealer had to order a spare with a new header. Had to pick it up with a 45' hiboy! But it was nice to know I had a spare.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Have had a 40’ single knife for 6 years. Can stall it out once in a while but have never broke it. Peas,canola,wheat,lentils and the odd year flax.

·
Registered
975 Posts
Broke a 35 foot single knive two years ago doing lentils that had hail on them early July.
i don’t like the idea of a single knife in 40’

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
By mistake ended up with a single knife drive on a 40ft and heavy barley when it got tough or weed patches of foxtail and it was plugged. Couldn’t believe our dealer in our area was ordering single knife’s in 40’s. Good reminder because I’m trading that bitch off.

·
Registered
303 Posts
40 ft single would not work at all where we are. Even a 35 ft single jams in tough barley and sadash wheat. Had a 35 ft macdon swather with single knife and we had trouble swathing barley at times. Also shook itselt to death. Traded it on a 40 ft double drive and its way better.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
Whats everyones thought on buying a 40ft Macdon FD75 with a single knife, bad idea or do they work good?
We’ve had our 40 ft fd75 for 6 years and the single knife has been great cutting everything from lentils ,chickpeas ,Durum, Canola And flax. All done without any issues and actually cut Flax last 2 years at over 5 mph

·
Registered
656 Posts
Anyone who buys a 40ft single knife is asking for trouble. Lol. My dealer was ordering 35 and 40ft single knife heads as a price point which is nuts considering it’s peanuts extra for double and everyone ends up turning on Combine lights and cutting when it’s tough sooner or later

1 - 18 of 18 Posts