The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
neighbor has got a 4400 diesel and wanted to know if it could handle a 6 row head. i think it may work it a bit lol but could handle it

·
Registered
377 Posts
If it does attach I suppose he could drive real slow with it, but the main problem will be that small grain hopper filling up and not being able to make runs up and down in big fields.

·
Registered
18 Posts
6 row Row Crop head it would handle just fine. Main concern with the 6 row corn head is the extra field compaction and stress on the final drives. Plus you wouldn't be going anywhere without some serious weight on the back. Maybe in 85 bushel corn, but anything else you can forget it. I know because I have a 4420, which is basically a 4400 with a black cab and some updates. We got into some 180 bushel corn with it last year and that 4 row head was all it wanted.

·
Registered
528 Posts
no way it would work ya maybe in 80 bu corn but dont have o worry about that much we run a 6620 with a 5 row and in normal corn you still have to go realy slow id say definately put a 4 row specialy with that smaller hopper

·
Registered
492 Posts
Maybe he can find someone to trade with. Might be able to trade for a better head in the bargain.

We had a 216 flex head on our 4420 and it was really light on the back end even with one wheel weight inside and two outside on each rear wheel. I'm betting with a 6 row head he'll have to have some weights to safely road the combine empty if he doesn't move the head on a trailer.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys. he only farts around with 40 acres and got the head for next to nuthin. i figured itd be ok just for 40 acres

·
Registered
528 Posts
ya we have the same problem with our 6620 it has a 216 on it always and the same weights you have and those tires still touch off the ground sometimes

·
Registered
216 Posts
our 4420 with a 4rw hates anything over 170bu.
I ran 40 acres of 190 bu corn last year in 1st gear with the variable speed just a tick under half until the bin got close to full hen had to pull it all the way back.
Now in beans it did pretty good with a 213 head in 50 bu beans it walked on pretty good but never did get the beans very clean.
machine has 2800 hrs on it.
DM01

1 - 8 of 8 Posts