The Combine Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We bought an older 4400 swather and it looked in not bad shape; but as you start cutting and the oil gets warm it can't climb the smallest hill. We tried new thicker oil and it's good untill it gets warm. I'm wondering if there's a pressure relief valve that can be adjusted? or am I missing somthing?
If the pump needs to be sent in, where in the winnipeg area is a good place to send it? Not sure if the old thing is worth it, but it's worth nothing at this point.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
A couple things, is it shifting to field speed properly? Road speed will not work good in the field. It's possible the motors may be failing, are both sides the same? Because there are actually two individual pumps and motors, I would assume one should wear quicker then the other. You could remove the case drains from the pumps and motors and see where your getting the most leakage. Maybe your experiencing low charge pressure, there should be a suction screen for the charge pump. Wreckers may have good pumps and motors. It's also possible other makes and models may use the same pumps and motors.

Good luck, it's probably worth fixing if it's good otherwise.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Common problem on my 4400 when i had it was the plates that support the tighteners wear on the rods that run inside the spring. This prevents the belt from tightening as the wore spot won't let the tightener do its job. Shot in the dark but thought i'd suggest.

·
Registered
213 Posts
When my old 330 wouldn't pull I dumped in a bit of 10W40 oil instead of the 10 weight it called for. Just like a new machine. It was probably leaking the thinner oil past the pump and/or motors and the thicker oil wouldn't leak as fast.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I was wondering if the 400 hydros were similar for parts? I don't drive my 4400 down the field I herd it down the field.

·
Registered
613 Posts
linkages were new last year, I think it has some hydro pressure problems, was lots of metal fillings in the oil, when I am going up a small hill I have to push the hydro leaver a long ways foreword and it will steer to the right, so when going down a small hill I have to pull the hydro leaver almost to the center and it will steer to the left.
I changed the oil and put in 15-40 and it helped some, there are no coffee breaks driving this thing as I am way to busy trying to keep it going strait and the right speed.

·
Registered
213 Posts
It sounds to me like you have worn out hydro pumps or worn out motors. Get a quote on replacing them, then start looking for a different swather. JMHO

·
Registered
3,773 Posts
TSIPP, I would almost bet your left wheel motor is bypassing, could be the pump also but I bet you could get a wheel motor cheap and should be easy to replace.

·
Registered
613 Posts
thanks offroadnt I will look into it, swather has new honey bee guards and knife, it is worth putting some work in it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts