The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for information pertaining to a 4425 JD combine which was made in Germany. More specifically, what engine was used in this machine? I see it is a 6 cyl 117 hp. Does it use a engine that was common in North American Equipment?

·
Registered
377 Posts
Every thread that talks about the those 25's and 35's is always negative. Way too hard to get parts for them in North America as there a few of them. Can't remember what engine it has.....

·
Registered
139 Posts
The engine is a 359cuin. inline 6, i.m.o.p, its the best part of the combine, still have never figured out how Germany could mess up a 95 corn special so bad.Reason I say is basically its a high tech. version of a 95 corn special .

·
Registered
87 Posts
You're absolutely right about that. And a 95 Corn Special with a few mods would have put the 4425/4435 to shame. It would be interesting to equip the 95 with the 359 engine, QT feeder house with a Manchester chain, and either a speeded-up clean-grain elevator or one from a 105, lengthen the chaffer and sieves about 6 inches, and add a hydro and the cab from, say, a 6000 sprayer. I wouldn't be afraid to put that combo in any kind of corn with a 4-row head, or a 6-narrow in 150-bushel corn or less. It would show up the 4425 pretty badly, I think.

I've gathered quite a bit of information and literature about the German combines, and until the rotors came along, the basic separator technology was that of the 55/95/105, with more walker throw, and or course the cross-shaker. The 430, 630, and 730 Combines that Deere sold in Canada for a couple of years were based on the older 55/95/105, with the 6-inch walker throw and a bit more horsepower. They had 300 Series engines from Saran, and were pretty much windrow-only machines. I bought an Operator's Manual for the German 900 Series machines, still pretty much the old 55/95/105 design with a few mods for their conditions. Deere certainly got its money's worth from the separator design that was actually started in 1939 with the No. 9 Combine.

·
Registered
5,381 Posts
You're absolutely right about that. And a 95 Corn Special with a few mods would have put the 4425/4435 to shame. It would be interesting to equip the 95 with the 359 engine, QT feeder house with a Manchester chain, and either a speeded-up clean-grain elevator or one from a 105, lengthen the chaffer and sieves about 6 inches, and add a hydro and the cab from, say, a 6000 sprayer. I wouldn't be afraid to put that combo in any kind of corn with a 4-row head, or a 6-narrow in 150-bushel corn or less. It would show up the 4425 pretty badly, I think.....

That's for sure, 105. You know as well as I do, the Model 95 was at least 1/3 larger than any 4400-4435.

·
Registered
87 Posts
That's for sure, 105. You know as well as I do, the Model 95 was at least 1/3 larger than any 4400-4435.

Might not make all that muich difference corn. The main problem is that with that much more power on the 95, the cylinder could shell faster than the CG elevator would take it away. I picked some 185-bushel corn with a 95 and 643, no problems shelling it, the major problem was lack of clean-grain elevator capacity. This is all theoretical, of course, but if I had to do that again, I'd speed up and double-paddle the clean-grain elevator, or adapt one from a 105 and do the same to it.

In soybeans or other small-grain crops, the only two limits would be walker loss and cutterbar speed. I've combined 50-bushel beans with a 20 foot platform, and with a 653A row-crop head, and was never stopped or slowed down by walker loss. As Ray Stueckle said, the only way to prevent walker loss is to make sure the grain never gets on the walkers...

Of course, no one will ever do it, it would be major stroke of luck to find a rebuildable 95 Corn Special Diesel Hydro but it's fun to dream about, at least for me---an old man remembering what it was like 30 years ago. Having run 4400's and 95s with QT feederhouses, I can plainly see that when Deere was running the comparison tests of the NG combines and the old "5" series, they weren't running the "5s' with a QT feederhouse. A 105 Corn Special diesel hydro will walk all over a 6600 in corn, both combines carrrying 643s.

·
Registered
200 Posts
if i recall right the 95 and 105 had the same clean grain elevator. we ran both with a 443 head and qt feederhouse in corn that was in the 180 range for years. both of these were edible bean machines with dip and pour elevators. we never had clean grain problems although the raddle chain on the 105 could be a problem if we pushed it too fast. the 95 had a rasp in it and the 105 had a spike with conversion plates and a rasp concave installed. we could go about half speed in second with the 95 as it had the 217 gas in it, but the 105 had the 341 gas and never ran out of power and sure started good when it was cold.
several years ago deere had a calender that showed a picture of a chinese combine factory they have. the machine was a dead ringer for a 95 with a few modern touches. now that is one import i would not mind having. the closest thing to new i have in a 95 is one with about 1900 hours on it, so that is not too bad. it is pretty much original, but too bad it is not hydro or diesel although it does have the variable cylinder drive.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts