The Combine Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We made a jump from a 4660 spra-coupe to a 4430 with intentions of freeing up time and using more water. The coupe was a nice intro machine for a high clearance sprayer but we out grew the machine. Rocky Mountian let me demo a 3330 last year and became convinced that these sprayers have good qualities.I feel like sprayers are an important part of the farm and covering acres quickly can make a difference with jumpy weather. I will list some of my impressions point form from my first 100 hours of spraying.
Pros
-120 ft boom well balanced and doesn't move much keeping a good spray quality!
-620 mich spray bibs lots of traction doesn't chew to much in ground and float most conditions.
-1200 gal tank gives me lots of capacity when filling from the yard and allows me to stay in the field.
-aim command is underrated in my opinion I have to go around a lot of big power lines and slowing down alows me to keep control and saves potential boom damage and good coverage. Adjusting presure during windy days and managing drift should prove to be a dynamic feature.
-cab is nice prefer the seat over my kitchen chairs, I have good visibility in the field but I instaled a rear view cam to deal with busy Edmonton traffic flow. The light package is good but booms are hard to see in dArk.
-lots of power.
-hydrostatic is smooth but jumpy
-front fill is nice for filling with your booms folded out.
Doesn't use much def

Cons.
- pro 700I ran these monitors for 4 years and I learn something new each day!
I have good dealer support but it's had quite a few issues that have stopped me from spraying. Teaching someone new is a process. Not a good headland modeeven though I have learned to manage running two swaths in a couple ways.its seems to glitch often!
-Auto boom is nice but can trip out when most needed, In hills,
-Aim bodies can plug and leak.

I'm pretty happy with this machine ,down time and being durrable will prove its worth over the years.

Please provide your review as well as maintence tips :D

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
I have had the 4420 for 1200 hundred hrs, then last year went to a 4430

had gary moffat from lethbrige do his changes to the aim nozzels, he changes the angle and moves the liquid spray booms back in the middle, this gives less turbulence and 30 percent less drift with better coverage, he has changed many for rocky from alberta to Manitoba

I had dealer also swap foot pedal gps activation to yellow button on hand rest... real nice mod

had dealer tweak hydro pressures from 6500psi to 7500 psi, I had found it to be weak in comparison to the 4420,[extra ton they weight over 4420] and the extra power gets you out of ugly situations

rocky now wants you to remove all screens from aim body, they wanted them installed for first 100 hrs

I have the stienbauer chip installed in mine and I now reduce engine rpm down to 1800 and runs real quiet with out issue and better fuel[2300ac per tank], been running the narrow tires this year on it since its been dry out and they do cut it up a bit on turns

pro 700 runs much better than pro 600, but as you say, it has its glitches

as for lights I have also complained to them how poor lighting is, my 4420 had the hid package as well and had twice as many lights shining on the booms, much brighter

like the front fill and chem handler on it, and def usage is tolerable, leather seat is also liked

was told it can do turns on gps at end of field, but have not been able to figure that out yet... want to start adding liquid this week, so we will see how much volume we can run threw

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Pros-Power is good, stable boom, like the autofold, quiet except for pressurization fan.
Cons- I have 372 running a Viper, basically anything made by Raven is giving me grief.
I don't care what anyone says JD GPS just plain works.
The stereo just plain sucks, reception, location, sound.
Why on earth would they put a little white ball in the site tube?

The other thing,and I haven't ridden in other sprayers to know, do you guys find the suspension design actually seems to enhance the roughness of going through any small washout. Overall I would say ride is good though.

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
It is too bad they could not source a quieter pressurizing fan. Apart from the hydro noise this is the main thing making cab noise. Can any of you get heat in the cab? When I turn it on no hot air comes out. I was thankful the other night it had a heated seat. I find the HID lights on the 4420 do not give enough forward light to see far enough ahead. I had some aim solenoids not flow right. How does a guy unplug or service them? Other than that it is a great sprayer to operate. When filling the sprayer on the side it is a nice feature to be able to turn the pump on from the outside and to be able to adjust the engine speed without going into the cab. I also love the feature of being able to check my nozzles with the remote. It makes it a nice one man process. How often are you guys changing the planetary oil and what type of oil are you using?

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Mine will cook you out of there in a hurray. Maybe you got a valve closed going to the heater core.
I think the book says 400 on planetary oil, but I am doing it about 200hrs, they don't take much oil, just using the case recommended.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I outlined how to use the headland mode In a thread yesterday.

It does not have the ability to turn at the end of the field. Unless maybe you have the e turns option from outback. Will have to check into that one. The pro 700 will not do it.

The screens in the nozzle bodies are just to catch any metal that may have been in tank or booms from production. They are a pain to clean when you change products, so take them out.

To open up a solenoid, grab the silver part in the middle with vice grips, then use a screw driver to take the top part off. Verify that nothing is blocking the spring or poppet.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
I've done 1600hrs in a 4420 and have changed planetary oil twice and due to do it again. I use 80w140 and it's black when I change it.

·
Premium Member
5,966 Posts
Hiway Mike I sure appreciate all you help this past week over the phone. Your help has been excellent and I appreciate you returning a persons call in a timely manner. You have provided excellent help for us. Thank you SouthernSK

·
Registered
99 Posts
I went to a 4430 last summer from a 3230 and I really like it. I would admit the ride could be improved but I guess I'm used to way a case rides. The 4430 I bought used and it has a viper in it while my 3230 had a pro600 and initially I hated the viper but now I have gotten used to it and it is ok. I love the "last pass" contour guidance but the I liked the pro 600 better for record keeping. I'm sure the viper will do more than I use it for but I haven't taken the time to figure it all out.
The lighting could definitely be improved. I run mine at 1800 rpm with no chip and find it has ample power and is much quieter than running wide open. Also uses much less fuel.
Changing engine oil filter is not as easy as the smaller machine. Not sure who engineered that setup. Had an planetary seal go out on me this spring but was covered on warranty and I helped the mechanic change it and was a pretty big job.
Personally I preferred the magnum cab on the smaller machine over the stx cab but not really any complaints.
I found the tank sight tube very hard to see with boom folded up. Smaller machine was much better especially when only say putting in 200-300 gal.

Sorry if I'm rambling.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Mike... For putting on liquid and shutting off aim I have had in the past to pull three fuses out under the battery box and change the pro 600 to PCM or something? Is their a easier way to turn off the aim for liquid fertilizer application on the 4430?

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes. No need to pull fuses. Change your controller type in toolbox. Leave the aim pump switch in the off position. Start your pump by turning on the master start apply button.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts