The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have an early model 4430 tractor with the big steering valve. Since we purchased it 4 years ago it has steered fine to the left but when you turn to the right the steering wheel stops and wont turn anymore and eventually the wheels will fully turn. I asked several dealership mechanics and all said to change the steering valve so I bought a reman from abilene machine and changed it out. I worked fine for a bit and went back to the same as before, steering wheel stops when turning to the right but the tires continue to move.

·
Registered
9,740 Posts
Them are a work of art, luckily I haven't had to touch one since college but the disappointing part about it is I managed to forget just about everything I know about them, I would recommend finding someone in a Deere dealer that has experience with diagnosing and adjusting, they are not simple, there was some special tools and a lot of specs to follow to make them correct, worth the money spent if you could find the right guy to do it in my opinion

Good luck!

Albertabuck might have some insight

·
Registered
849 Posts
dad rebuilds them but i have never had to. one day i need to go through some of them so he can show me the tricks. he says theres nothing to it! just take your time and set the valves correctly.

·
Registered
465 Posts
I worked at jd for 10 or so years and have run my own shop for the last 11. I've rebuild quite a few of them if you take your time and lap the valves in the housing and set them properly you will have no trouble it is one of them jobs that can not be rushed or you will get to do it again belive me I've done a few of them twice. I would see if your jd dealer would copy the pages out of the book for you. I will get the jd tool numbers you will need to set them when I get home to nite. It's kinda funny because the jd dealer I used to work for sends anybody that asks about getting one rebuilt to me. To rebuild them it takes about 3 to 4 hours once there on the bench. I test them before they go back in the tractor I have a hyd cylinder rigged up that I hook the the valve to make sure it works.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Tool numbers are jdh 302 and jdh 301 u will also need a good dial indicator the valves are set to 1 and 3 though that depends on model. Also u will need to fabricate a long 7/16 socket I welded a small pipe to one so you could put a screwdriver down the center to adjust valves and tighten lock nut at the same time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Tool numbers are jdh 302 and jdh 301 u will also need a good dial indicator the valves are set to 1 and 3 though that depends on model. Also u will need to fabricate a long 7/16 socket I welded a small pipe to one so you could put a screwdriver down the center to adjust valves and tighten lock nut at the same time.
I cant find the JDH-301 or JDH-302 listed anywhere

·
Registered
465 Posts
Those are the numbers on the tools then selves maybe obsolete now. I'll ask my local deere dealer tmrw.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts