The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else ever break a steering box on a 4440? Or did I just set a world record? I just took the left side frame rail off to find out why it's puking trans-hydraulic and the housing has a big crack in it above the front axle. John Deere says it could be one of 3 housings, but no prices as none are available. Found one used one online for $1250, but I'll have to amputate to see which one I have. Kermit was right... it ain't easy being green.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
I've seen it before on different models. How much slop did you have in your steering linkage, motor and the splines between the spindles and steering arms? That seems to be what causes it, least in my experience. Been more than one 4020 and a couple of the 30 series, all of which were also loader tractors.

·
Registered
2,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No loader, but it has a few weights on the front... nothing exceptional. It tended to be a little rough so I only kept 26 lbs of air in the front tires. The steering was nice and tight on that one and there was no leaks at the front to warn of impending doom. Other than 10,000 hrs of fatigue, the only other thing I can think of is if we climbed a ditch angled once and the axle came up high enough to contact it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.