The Combine Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if I should rebuild the 466 in our 5288 or get a whole new drop in short block. Tractor has 8000 original hours and is in great shape, only does rock picking and running grain auger. The reason I ask is I was told by a mechanic that the cam bearings or bushings can get bad and need to be pressed in which needs the block removed so was thinking if we have to go that far? If so would one get a reman from dealer or should a guy be looking elsewhere? Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would think the dealer reman would be way higher than the price to pull your block & do the cam bearings & any other machining. You say the tractor is in great shape but the engine needs to be rebuilt or you want to rebuild for frame of mind ? I would check into some prices before making the decision either way.

Mark

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
What's wrong with it to start with? It might have another ten thousand hours left in it. I would buy a kit and rebuild it if it's burning oil or something, a reman is going to cost a fortune. If it's been maintained reasonable over those hours the cam bearings will be fine.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It has some serious blow by and I don't think there is much compression left as it rolls over real easy in the morn. Has lots of oil leaks and oil pressure is low so that is why I am considering rebuilding it over winter as not to have an issue when I need it.

·
Registered
657 Posts
I would attempt an in frame rebuild, measure your cam bearings they might be okay, if not you can get removal and install tools. if you make yours think of washers and ready rod and a few nuts. it is amazing how much oil pressure you can loose out the cam. but offroadnt is right they are probably fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.