The Combine Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4700 versatile swather that was in great working order. I tried to sell it several times and people would say their interested and would like to try it first. 3 times and 3 different people lol found it good enough to cut all their canola but not what they were looking for. It has sat here for 6 yrs and hasnt been on my priority list to sell. My oldest son is fixing up an 80s ford pickup and wanted to do something completely different and the option of a 5.9 cummins came up but the weight of it was a turnoff. He was looking at something real economical on fuel and asked what would be lighter in a diesel. The 4B cummins which is a 5.9 with 2 cylinders cut off I said. The truck that had the 5.9 for parts had standard in it and he is on a build lol with the motor out of my swather. So I have a 4025 header with a U2 pick up reel and a perfectly good impossible to find hydro for sale. Wheel motors and power wheels are there. Shoot me an offer on what you need. Even the AC compressor was replaced not long ago and the tires were replace yrs back with minimal acres. Both plastic and steel 8 ft roller here too.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
The 4B in a pickup should be an interesting project!! Ever thought about making it a 4BT? 83 HP might be a tad shy. Anyway good luck with the repower and let us know how it works out. And good luck selling all those good parts. I have had a dream for years to build an Argo type ATV and power it with old swather motor, pump and wheel motors. Sounds like you guys are "handy" so don't give away the swather parts if you have any interesting projects in the back of your mind!!! Every time I see an old 400 or 4400 I have that flashback!! LOL! I also have ideas about hot rodding a 8" loadout auger and using a real motor like the 200 Ford from a 400 and even using the pump and wheel motors to drive the auger flighting. You would have infinitely variable speed and a nice reverser! Those good used parts have lots of alternate uses!

I am sure you have thought of rear end ratio differences for switching from gas power that runs quite a bit faster rpm?

·
Registered
758 Posts
Parts definitely hard to get for the 4700.
Think I would have went with a 5.9 for the project truck.
Mid 80s ford front end should handle the weight.
They were a bit beefier than the GM trucks.

·
Premium Member
4,739 Posts
Was lots of 4 cyl Perkins put in pickups back like pre 1990s, being under powered was a common issue but back then options were limited. When that 5.9 come along, that seemed to replace all those other engines in transplants.

Unfortunate parts become an issue for those newer Versy swathers. I would imagine the biggest bucks and demand will be for the gear case itself. Been several threads on here of guys looking for gears.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My son drives 25 miles of flat gravel road everyday to work. The 4B will be shy of any passing power on the hwy but that isnt what it was intended to do. Great mileage to and from work was his goal. 4BT would have been a better choice but for what he is planning to use the truck for 50 mph and touring the countryside its going to be fine. 20 yrs a go a guy put an engine out of a 750 MF. Perkins 372 non turbo. In a combine a 60 gallon tank was good for 18 hrs. He put it in an international pick up with a flat deck. Sipped diesel forever around here. Likely still going. Lots of 4BT builds in the states going into suburbans to give them 28-30 miles a US gallon. Diesel just makes sense to me for all transportation. Longevity of diesel engines and the fuel economy achieved with them is beyond what a gas engine can do. A diesel at idle burns far less fuel than a gas engine. So much of what a vehicle does is idle. At traffic lights and intersections and hockey rinks etc idling is just normal in frigid temps. My 24V I have never plugged in. Worked in the bush for 12yrs using my truck everyday parked in the cold outside. -30C it would guarantee to start everytime. Still running like a champ burning no oil 550,000 km on the Odometer. Sure you can argue that a Ford eco diesel can get great mileage on the hwy so why a diesel. Ya I get that you get the mileage at 100 kmh. Buddy here has had many different Fords here. One came with a 4 inch lift. It sucked on fuel mileage right off the lot. Many of us drive faster than 100kmh and the gas engines just suck the fuel out of its eco zone. Put a trailer behind a gas and a diesel will be affected slightly where as a gas just changes in fuel mileage greatly. My eco diesel is unreal on fuel mileage and speed changes your fuel economy very little. 120 is still a speed you can travel all day and get great mileage. Coquihalla hwy is a joke for my truck. 120-130kmh and 8.3 L per hundred all day everyday. My avg fuel consumption from my doorstep to Oliver B.C. was 7.9 L per 100. 5800 km on my vacation touring Vancouver Island and everywhere in between we got 8.4 L per 100. In a pick up with 4 people and bicycles on the hitch carrier and a pile of luggage etc in the box you arent going to even come close to that with a gas. Manufacturers cant empty their inventory if vehicles lived long lives like the diesels can so they aren't promoting them. How many old 5.9 cummins are still on the road today is proof that Dodge wont sell as many vehicles as Ford because Navistar has junk built right into them so they become turds after 140K. Just buy another one.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
That is great economy on that trip over the Coq to the island. My Expedition with the 5.4 gas 2-4 people and usually the back piled to the roof gets about 11-12 in the summer and 13-14 in the winter. You make perfect sense on your son's 4B having enough power for flat land and driving country road speeds. Cool project!

What engine is the Ford eco diesel you talk about that gets 7.9 to Oliver?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts