The Combine Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not so much trouble as inconvenience, between rinses I spray out rinse water, then empty what is left onto the ground by opening bottom valve and toggle switch. This empties the basin on the bottom of the tank and I am assuming I empty the solution pump this way. Now when I do another rinse cycle, the pump will not prime for one full cycle, causing the warning screen to pop up to stop the pump because it is running dry. It only primes on the second rinse cycle. Is this the same on everyone's machine?

I also cannot suck water from storage tank into the machine using the sprayers pump fill very well. It will fill the sprayer at about 25 gallons per minute and the pump is screaming loud. I would also like to know if there is a way to fill the sprayer this way without engine roaring at fast rpm. Kind of a pain in the ears.

The pump got rebuilt last winter while it got a green light at John Deere but it is the extact same as it was before the service. Any advise certainly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I have the same thing happening with our 4830. I have a thread over on NAT (Viewing a thread - Deere 4830 solution pump air lock). There's a few suggestions...

Best suggestion so far is that the bleed line off the pump is filling with foam which is stopping the air from leaving the pump. One poster suggested putting a ball valve right at the pump. Might try this...

Another suggested not using the load switch. Instead, start the pump in the cab and only rev up the engine a little bit until the pump is primed, then rev 'er up.

Andrew

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Is there a drain **** on the pump? I had a problem with with 4710 doing this, so when I started to open the valve to rinse tank, I would let a little run out load line, then use drain **** to get air out. That seemed to work.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Simple solution. Park with the nose down hill. If the sprayer is parked with the front end higher than the back, you will have all kinds of grief getting the pump to prime. Park with the front equal to or lower than the back and it will prime no problem.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I wouldn't exactly call the 30-series "first generation"! What about the 4700? 4710? 4x20? 4x30?

Would be nice if the distance from fill->pump was shorter. And if the discharge pointed up so that air could escape easier. Heck, that's the way our 854 RoGator was 15 years ago!

Andrew

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Not so much trouble as inconvenience, between rinses I spray out rinse water, then empty what is left onto the ground by opening bottom valve and toggle switch. This empties the basin on the bottom of the tank and I am assuming I empty the solution pump this way. Now when I do another rinse cycle, the pump will not prime for one full cycle, causing the warning screen to pop up to stop the pump because it is running dry. It only primes on the second rinse cycle. Is this the same on everyone's machine?

I also cannot suck water from storage tank into the machine using the sprayers pump fill very well. It will fill the sprayer at about 25 gallons per minute and the pump is screaming loud. I would also like to know if there is a way to fill the sprayer this way without engine roaring at fast rpm. Kind of a pain in the ears.

The pump got rebuilt last winter while it got a green light at John Deere but it is the extact same as it was before the service. Any advise certainly appreciated.
The only improvement that seems to help is to make sure your hose from rinse tank to pump plumbing is as level as you can get it. Always catches the first one, usually the second, but the third can be a task to get pump to prime. I have found stopping and restarting the rinse cycle helps. You get just enough trickle in to get pump primed that when you restart the cycle, it will suck the last bit out of the rinse tank.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.