The Combine Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.
Finally got my 4940 and just wondering if I can slow the folding of the outer wings. It seems a little quick and they hit quite hard. Also what's the best way to prime the solution pump?
Thanks.
Gavin.

·
Registered
237 Posts
If you want to slow the fold down you need to put in smaller orifices. And Redgreen was being a bit of a smart ass, but that is the only way to prime the pump on a 4940. The seals can handle it. You can cycle the pump switch at a couple second intervals when priming.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Smartass? As you said, it's the only way. Another option is too start a rinse cycle and suck some water from your rinse tank. But in the end it's all works on the same theory, put water in tank and turn switch on.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
49xx's might be different but on the 47xx and 4830's, if the front of the sprayer is higher than the back it won't prime for love or money regardless of how much water is in the tank or if you are pulling from the rinse tank. The machine has to be level or nose lower than the back.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Also check the air operated valve at the bottom of the tank is completely closed, ie not out of adjustment.
Way of checking this is if you are getting product back into the eductor thru the rinse system when it should be clean water means the pump is sucking from the solution tank as well.

Good point about the attitude of the sprayer, hadnt ever thought of that one making that much difference

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. It did take at least 15min of cycling pump on and off and mucking around to get it primed, my concern was that the sprayer has been at the dealers for about 8 months and I'm new to the john deere sprayers

If you want to slow the fold down you need to put in smaller orifices. And Redgreen was being a bit of a smart ass, but that is the only way to prime the pump on a 4940. The seals can handle it. You can cycle the pump switch at a couple second intervals when priming.
I'll look into changing the orifices thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The outer booms on my 4940 also go way to fast. In fact so fast that I've broken nozzles just by the breakaways crashing against the stops. Thats something way to fast in my opinion. I asked the JD mechanic about that one time when I got some service done on it. We checked the orifices and by what he told me mine has the smallest that is available for that size of hose. So I'm going to try putting in a flow reducing valve system. They have them on the Pommier Aluminum booms. They are approximately 3 inches long and just thread in between the hose and the cylinder. It has a slot where you put in an allen wrench and turn either way to speed up or reduce flow. I wish I had done it already so I could tell you exactly what I'd done and what to use. I'll post on here when I got that changed on my machine

·
Registered
3,507 Posts
My 4830 doesn't like to prime either. I find if I fill the tank then burp the air out by quickly opening and closing the fill valve, the pump will prime right away. Never had that issue with my 4720.

I was going to say that, or as ur filling, open the mixing valve from your pump.. Let the water cycle threw the pump to reach the tank..
I have a switch on the ground by the fill station on my nitro.. As I am filling I will open the circulation valve and turn on the pump for a second or to to prime it prior to field operation..
The only trouble I have is when I do that I have to adjust the raven monitor pressure way down or when I turn it on it will have the pump wound way up, 150 psi,, and the have to idle down and bring the pressure down.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
Our old 854 RoGator had a 1/4" line that ran from the top-most 1/8" plug on the pump housing up to the top of the tank. Never had a problem.

Our JD4830 has a similar 1/4" line but we definitely have problems with it not wanting to prime. Some have suggested in the past that when the pump runs empty, it can generate some foam that gets into that line and then the air can't push its' way out. I have heard that to help, install an 1/8" (or 1/4" depending on your pump housing) valve in one of the other positions. Then if it won't prime, open that valve to let some of the air out. I haven't installed the valve, but I have removed one of the pipe plugs and then replaced it when it starts pumping water again - takes seconds!

Not sure why the big difference between the 2 sprayers. Only difference I could come up with is that on the 854, the pump is directly under the tank and the output side of the pump was pointed straight up, past a few tee's through a big 2" valve and into the bottom of the tank. The air had nowhere to go but up into the tank! On the JD4830, if you are pointed uphill, the air can't get out of the pump except through that 1/8" fitting on the pump. Takes a long time to get air out of 3" hoses through a little 1/8" fitting! That's why pointing downhill can help - the air naturally heads uphill into the tank.

Andrew

P.S. I should note that we use the sprayer pump for filling and the water level in our truck tanks is higher than the pump, so it should flow in!

·
Registered
109 Posts
My 4940 is only 500 hours old and I run it empty every load and have never had a priming issue, only takes seconds....definitely agree about the boom and the speed at which it hits the stoppers when folding up, shakes the cab a little. We have had a bad run with blown orings, and loose Hyd fittings on this machine, pressures have tested fine, lost over 500 litres of oil with all these problems so far, not to mention a wheel motor seal failure. Boom rides well, and great monitor in the cab that is easy to use especially with the direct injection. In tough going this machine could do with another 100 hp, the Miller I was spraying alongside yesterday was carrying another 1500 litres and absolutely shat all over me being able to maintain it's spraying speed of 22 kilometres where I was flat out holding 16 clicks....

·
Registered
3 Posts
4940 Educter

Also check the air operated valve at the bottom of the tank is completely closed, ie not out of adjustment.
Way of checking this is if you are getting product back into the eductor thru the rinse system when it should be clean water means the pump is sucking from the solution tank as well.

My 4940 has this going on. Solution getting back to educter via the rinse system from the main tank. Also sucks in educter contents when agitation on.
Dealer has replaced air operated valve but made no difference.
Is this just the air operated valve out of adjustment?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Don't like the fold speed on my 4930 I'm going to put adjustable taps on them I have them on our old Hayes. The emergency window thing is pain as it isn't sealing so I'm putting a new seal in and replacing then pin and clip with a bolt and lock nut, and maybe a bit of dynamatt to reduce noise. Other than that this thing is beast sprayed 450 ha of canola ground when we got washed out up to 29 k/hr and a perfect job.

·
Registered
166 Posts
W
My 4940 has this going on. Solution getting back to educter via the rinse system from the main tank. Also sucks in educter contents when agitation on.
Dealer has replaced air operated valve but made no difference.
Is this just the air operated valve out of adjustment?

The one I looked at was a 4930, there was an adjustable stop , just a bolt with nuts that the valve handle runs up against , just screw in and out till the valve handle is exactly 90 degrees, ie fully off .
Haven't had much to do with 40's not sure of the setup on them.
Hope that this helps
Arro
Can't comment on educator issue

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.