The Combine Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a 2012 4940 on the farm, and we have been looking at spreading elemental sulphur in the fall to save the workload in the spring. However, buying a floater to apply it looks rather expensive, both in purchase price and in up-keep, for just a few thousand acres a year. A tow-behind large Valmar is an option, but it ties up a tractor and would be much slower.

I have heard that converting a 4940 sprayer to a spreader is a fast and simple conversion, although I haven't heard a price for it. Does anyone have any experience with this? Is this something worth considering?

·
Registered
562 Posts
real simple just need a crane or a larger wrecker. you will need to spread about 100# to acre of potash to a good pan test. if everything goes smooth shouldn't take over 2 hrs. the manual should have the process on how to do it

·
Registered
122 Posts
why not buy a used floater? lots of good used floaters on the market for what a spreader box will cost you. Just an idea.

·
Registered
562 Posts
And not 2-4 hours, takes more like 8-10 hours
harsh i don't know where you get your numbers on time. i've done it with a john deere tech 4 times in the last 2 yr. there was about 2 hrs worth of work. the longest part will be getting the box calibrated the first time you use it.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
theres a farmer near me had a 4930 i think it was ran a spreader box on it for the wet year after that he mounted a frame under it to make it into a trailer spreader seems too work good for them i could give u his number is you p m me

·
Registered
434 Posts
Mother Deere gives a book time of 12 hrs for the first installation of the dry box. This includes the calibration time.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Its a big job, I talked to one dealer that was 45miles away from me and they didn't even want todo the swap for farmers. Need something that can safely lift 10,000lbs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts