The Combine Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys n gals,

So i do believe we're finally biting the bullet and getting rid of the maximizer for a 2001 9650sts. It's a local trade machine and has been through the combine clinic every year, i've read through the 50/60 series maintenence thread, and didn't know if there was anything specific to look for for a STS with 1400sep. hours that has been strictly a corn/bean machine? I would assume since it's been through the clinic, that the grain tank and elevator problem would be solved since the dealership is extremely picky about fixing stuff when we take our combine in every year. So we're kinda curious what to check for as far as odd wear items or places where dealers might not normally check.

I also remember reading about people with tip-up kits and having frame problems, would this be a problem with a J&M extension with a tip up kit? According to the website, the regular extension takes it to 350bu and the large one takes it to 400bu. They don't have any specifications on how much more the tip-up kit adds....i'll have to go measure it when we look at it tomorrow.

Also, our new(to us) 893 cornhead is already switched over to a 50/60 series hookup, could our 924 platform be switched over to a 50/60 series hookup and get rid of the sprocket shafts for the pto versions? I would assume since a cornhead made for the 9x00's could our platform could, but wasn't sure.

The whole rotor concept is completely new to us so we're kinda clueless and 08 will be a learning year for the old man, rotor/gps...he won't know which way is up

Thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
321 Posts
Re: 50 Series STS, 1400hrs,What to look for and he

by the time you change a 924 to CM back shafts, buy pto shafts and change to 50 series HH and CM sensors you'd be better off to find a 925F with what you need.

jd

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

didn't realize they changed the header height systems and apparently all the other sensors...just rediculous when 625's are going for 20,000-25,000 compared to 630/635's that are going for 30,000ish...

·
Registered
321 Posts

a nice 01, 02, or 03 925F will run half that and do a great job and hook right up to your new rig.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

hey ebert we have about a 1997 930 head that we bought almost new and when we switched combines it was not a big deal. These guys above make it sound like it's a big production to change the sensors. But really you just swap the sensors out and then you need new brackets for the sensors (I think) and a new harness and your set to go. In order to go to a 600 series platform you need a new corner post and another board or something like that.

We put a full finger auger in our last year because it was cheaper than trading. Not a huge deal either and we did not have to take the reel off. A FF auger is a must for this combine.

To convert it over to spine shafts you need a kit from your dealer, just ask they should know what you mean.

What do you want to know about the combine? I can tell you just about anything. For one it's one heck of a machine! With the sts rotar forget about green stems, we can grind through them at 4.5 mph with a 30 foot header!

Any question just ask there is no thing as a stupid question.

-Dave

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i thought the 50's were single point hookups...after looking at the machine tonight i found out none of the 50 series were, lol.

was an 01 the last year for the 50 series? we've always went by "last year of a model is the best" and im sure 60 series are alot better, but there also $60,000+ more than a 50 series.

This one has an ag-leader 3000 i believe yield monitor, now since someone has already used it, do we have to recalibrate it for different heads? Also...what are the 123 buttons on the joystick for?

it looks like the first field of the year i get to teach my dad about a thing called technology

Finally, is 400bu too big of a tank capacity for these machines as far as frame stress and other variables go?

·
Registered
504 Posts

www.lankota.com has all the shafts and sensor stuff you will need to make the 24 foot flex work on the new style machine.

1, 2, 3 buttons are head height and resume cut.

·
Registered
1,636 Posts

I am not sure of the years but I "think" they may have gone up to 03 or 04? Not sure maney not even that long. We have a 2000 and it was one I the earlier ones so we were told.

Yes, the yield monitor has t b set up for different heads. Because in order to calculate yield it needs to know how wide of the swath, speed, etc. We have Greenstar and it remembers the heads that we use, not sure about the ag leader.

Like riceman said the button are for head height. When you pull out on the headlands you press one and it lifts the head to your preset height(usally just enough to turn off the logging for the yield monitor) then once you turn back in just press 3 and your back to your cutting height.

IMO I think 400 bu. is just a wee bit for that combine. I think ours hold around 300? The less corn you have in the hopper the longer your final drives will last.

-Dave

·
Registered
321 Posts

who said a dang thing about changing to 50 series sensors being hard????

lets do the math for you fac. farmer:

converting ebert's 924 LL head vs. trading or selling the 924 and buying a 925F

1. Converting to full finger auger: 3,000 easily

2. Buying a set of CM backshaft supports: 200

3. Converting auger slip clutch to CM style: 500

4. Buying a set of PTO drive shafts: 650 easily

5. Buying the 50 series sensors HH and CM: HH= BH84039 = 197

I can't find pricing on a CM sensor and bracket kit, but easilt another $250

6. Buying the 50 series wiring harness: AH164881 = $625

That's bumping $5500 right there just in materials, lets see, what else to list that a 900F would have:

A better wobble box system with HD stabilizer and counter -balanced knife drive

newer style reel with fore and aft

hopefully better poly underneath

another foot of cutting

That's enough for me to mention trading to ebert, sorry if I didn't mention how "easy" it was to add 50 series height sensors.

jd

·
Registered
321 Posts

2003 last yr. for 50 series

900F heads intro'd in 2000 with 50 series and went until 2003.

Ebert, if you do keep the 924, I suggest changing to poly fingers also.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

the way it sounds we're gonna keep the 924 and switch it over.

Our platform already has FF, and new skids last year. The reason my dad doesn't wanna trade and i completely forgot about it, is we have 3 small patch fields and a 30ft platform would be completely useless since there next to the highway and there's nowhere to hook a platform up on them, so we leave the 924 on and go down the road with it (you could say a 30ft could do that as well, but there's an overpass with high guardrails and the center section is filled with arrow signs).

is 01 a decent year as far as getting the problems resolved that were common on 2000's?

how much and why would we want to convert to poly fingers? do rotors not like metal fingers as much as walkers?

·
Registered
504 Posts

Because your "new" STS has the sorriest excuse of a rocktrap ever built. If you came from a 9500-9600 and into an STS you will be sorely dissapointed. In 2000 I worked for a custom cutter. We had a few accidents where fingers went through the machine. My machine had 9 go through at once and the rock trap caught 2. Those 7 fingers did a heck of a lot of damage. (keep in mind that this was before Deere came out with the L shaped bracket to hold the fingers inside the auger tube)

So whatever it costs, its money ahead to get the poly fingers. In 3 years at around 4000 acres per year we didn't have a seconds trouble out of the poly fingers.

We were faced with the same problem as you. We had a 924 also and looked at switching it all over to the STS. Ended up getting a 930 flex instead. I gained a few feet, it was brand new, and hooked right up.

·
Registered
321 Posts

Also if your 924 has round backshafts, be prepared to dump some more in it to convert to CM backshafts.

With a TON of good 925's selling well below 12K, you'd be crazy not to upgrade flex's while unpgrading to an 893 and 9650.

Ditto to riceman on changing to poly fingers, unless you like high repair bills.

jd

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

thats nice to know, i thought 9 series platforms were only for maximizer hookups, and 600 platforms were released when STS's were.

Thanks for the info...i can now run through machine finder/tractorhouse for late model 900's

anyone have info for the combine itself?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts