The Combine Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Land lord needs a tractor to run an irrigation pump for his 35 acres of wheel line. Started looking at the old line up and decided the 5020 is his best option. Not sure when it ran last. Changed engine oil and filter, checked all other fluids and misc things before turning over. Turned over, by jumping the solenoid at the starter. Start button must have went bad in past 10-20 years. No smoke at all. Was primed good. Hmmm, pull cover off injection pump and manually ran control. Metering rod was stuck in off position. Carefully free it up. Started pumping fuel, ya. Bleed injectors then it fired right up. Now it won't move. What the... Play with it for a while then it suddenly moves. Dry stiff powershift clutch seals, stuck valve, air locked in the hyd? Steering kinda worked. Don't know. Drove over to fuel tanks and it ran bad and died. Fuel filters were plugged. Changed those framm filters out for new JD ones. You know JD 5020 filters don't come with drain plugs back when he bought them and framm plugs are different. The littlest things are annoying. Get that going again. Put some fresh fuel in it with a good dose of power service. Radiator was leaking bad. Parked it and pulled the radiator. It is now being repaired. A few more minor repairs to take out the wrinkles of age then it may be able to run again. Oh, ya. The PTO still doesn't work. That is the reason we started this project. One thing we havn't figured out is that the manual says it has PTO disconnect lever plus the engage/disengage lever. This tractor has no disconnect that we can find. He doesn't remember ever using the PTO to be sure it ever worked. It was his farming tractor about 3 tractors or more back. Any advise on PTO? Hoping the clutch seal is dry and won't seal. Then that it will seal and start working. Hoping.... I will have research on it more also.

·
Premium Member
5,233 Posts
The PTO manual disconnect it slightly to the right in a notch in the platform about where your right foot would be. You flip up the lever, turn it 180 degrees one way or the other. Can disengage it running, must be shut off to engage it. Can be left engaged. It is ahead of the PTO clutch, which controls PTO as on any other tractor.

As for everything else, I'd be careful of the racks sticking wide open if the pump is acting up, you will either have to stall it or snuff the air intake to kill it if it does. And as for the drive, dry clutch and gear tranny...aint no powershift or hydraulics involved with the transmission on a 5020 except for PTO clutch.

·
Premium Member
2,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you.
I'll look again for the disconnect, but I didn't see anything. That sounds like were I was looking. I may have to look closer under the cab. Printed a parts breakdown for it today.
Had to look at the parts for the tranny, yep you are right. Never have been into a 4020 or 5020 other than fix a few leaks and change injectors on one. I would only guess something in the clutch was sticky. It would start to rock forward but nothing more. That is what made me think clutch seals.
The pump could stick, but no rack in this one. It is a distributor type pump, I think a Stanadyne DC model. It does have a metering rod, or metering valve, that can stick. That is what was stuck in off position. I was ready for that to happen.

Once it is running more reliably I will hopefully get time to look into things closer. Wasn't even planning on helping with this job, but it is fun to get this older equipment up and working again. It is easy to get caught up on his little projects when I am in the yard.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.