The Combine Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
you might want a 6088 for the extra hp...

also...you want the two speed hydro....thats a nice advantage that case has had over others for a long time......

so yeah you want that...not sure on the other part...

also you could just chip the motor from the begining and im sure that would basically make it a 6088....

·
Registered
247 Posts
We have a 6088 sitting in the shed. The dealer told us that speeding up the head for corn is mainly for the chopping corn heads so we didn't get that option and I can't recall how it works. I think your right that it would cause more cobs to fly around.

You should have the two speed hydro.

Our 2588 can spread straw 30' with the spreader on low speed and the 6088 is set up basically the same so the 50 should do it too. It will handle a 30' head but like casefarmer said you might want the extra hp of the 60

·
Registered
6 Posts
Can anyone tell me how the 2 speed header drive works on the new 88 series combines. It says it is recommended for corn but why would you want to speed up the header. Seems like to me it would just make the ears bounce harder and shell more corn. Is this speed change occur on the fly with a push of the button or how does it work?

Also, was wondering about the 2 speed hydro. Is this option worth it or just another area for potential problems? How much does it change the speed?

Does the standard straw spreader spread GOOD with a 30' head in irrigated soybeans. Would a 30' flex head be too much for 60 bushel beans? Granted I wouldn't be breaking any speed records but would kind of like to go 30' for some controlled wheel traffic.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
goalie we won't get ours till days before harvest probably...what do you think of her?? didn't they change the cab air filter style finally and where's it located...also what else have you noticed....

i got to look at a 7088 and besides a 2588 it looked alot bigger...

is that true...height and width? or just where i was standing lol

·
Registered
1,982 Posts
the 2388 i drove with a 2 speed hydro went from 7.5 to 8.8 mph topspeed in 2nd. Makes it nice if you are headed back to the truck full but putting it in road gear would lug to much. Don't know about the 2 speed header, is it just regular speed and a faster speed?

·
Registered
341 Posts
I am guessing the reason for the 2 speed header drive is becaus they have went to a common head hookup with the 10 and 20 series. the 220X series heads had the 2 speed gearbox on them for this option.

·
Registered
247 Posts
casefarmer, haven't looked at the cab air filter yet. As for size, it's not as high with the bin extension folded down. That electric fold is awesome. We can get it in a door that's too low for the 2588 which works good because that was the only place left to put it. I don't think it's any wider but it seems wider because the sides are straight back. The previous models tapered a little to the back.

Lots of other changes. Wood blocks at front of auger bed are now bearings. Rock trap beater that was driven with 60 chain now has 80 chain. Covers over cross augers in bin hinge up for cleanout. Feeder is built much stronger. Rear axle is much stronger. Side covers now have single latch instead of several. No concave setting indicator on side panel. The list goes on.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i like the sound of the cleanout on in the hopper....

the raise and lower on the feederhouse is the same directions as always right???

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yes it is but it has the 8010 style joystick. Two fire extiguishers are standard, hope that's not an omen. There's a lot more shielding around the cleaning fan. Rotor belt is wider.

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yeah i knew about the joystick..i just got worried about the directions cause of deere swiching...both of my uncles hate that with a passion... and so does some other local green guys..

a wider rotor belt huh?

i like the sound of covers comeing up in the hopper tank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts