The Combine Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am calling from Great Britain. New to the forum! :)

Have a 5088, 3 years old, just starting wheat harvest here.

The reel is intermittently running jerkily, as if it was sticking. But if you remove the chain drive it turns smoothly manually, so its nothing mechanical on the reel.

Suspect either a hydraulic problem or an input problem on the electrics. It happens both in manual and auto speed control.

Any suggestions please? Frustratingly its intermittent. :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
If the machine have hydraulic spreaders, set the speed on the block in the centre , if not its on the reel drive cilinoid:)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
I doubt the gallons per minute required is all that high even on the larger motor typical for a reel and as well I haven't personally had enough to do with a flow meter to know if it would show up fluctuations in flow from the pump to know if its the culprit or the reel motor itself.

Hooking up another combine to your header would be the easiest way to see if that solves the problem but if not available ....

Is there a way you could hook up a tractor ( preferably using the same type of hydraulic fluid ) to the reel motor directly through the couplers at the header and a tractor that has a flow control within the tractor to bring the speed to the same as what you harvest at. That I would think could give you a better handle on if that motor has a problem and if so, a simple motor replacement.

Not sure how helpful that suggestion is but something to possibly try. After that, you may need a tech out to test the combine hydraulic circuit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
the hidrolic chaff spreaders defenitly influence the reel speed, especialy if you are on a slower setting on the reel. like afxrotor suggested try tuning the speed control knob of the spreaders

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks very much guys, yes it was the speed controller for the chaff spreaders that seems to influence the reel speed.

Couldn't have done it without you, esp Afxrotor who was the first to respond!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts